1x12 or 1x11

Dezziboy

I had a regular round 34 on before .32 oval climbs better and i still have a 34 top end .My other bike has 1 x 12 eagle with 32 oval chaining .I ride them both on a weekly basis .On the 12 speed cassette i mis the 46 at the back .Twelve speed cassette has 42 ,50 sprockets

nee man 

disnoggie vrydag ie

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A 32 round or oval gives you exactly the same speed. An oval just feels easier in some parts of your pedal stroke, and harder in others - that is why some people find it easier to keep the cranks turning on climbs and experience better traction. But it does not change the ratio or speed you get.

Eg: a 32 chainring (oval or round) with a 10t cog on the cassette, gives you a ratio of 3.2. That means for every one turn of your crank, your rear wheel rotates 3.2 times. A 32t oval cannot give you more top end than a round ring.

On the other end of the cassette on the 46t cog, it gives you a ratio of 0.695 - ie your wheel rotates 0.695 times for every one rotation of the crank. But, on the upstroke it feels like a 30t, and on the downstroke it feels like a 34t, making it easier to keep the cranks turning - it does not change speed at a given cadence.

Spot on. Ratios are ratios. That's it.

What may be happening is that he may be able to push a higher cadence on the oval, which means he spins out at a higher speed than when he's on a round ring of the same tooth count.