Some 1 x 10 questions....

Mojoman

So I bought a second hand 1x10 kit and converted from 3x9. 

The front blade is a 32T and the rear cassette is 11-36T....peace and quiet at last!

But I am looking to move to a 38T, 40T or 42T rear cassette. 

Should I also go from a 32 to a 34T front ring? I do enjoy pushing it on the few flats sections as well.

I like the 1x10 but there are a couple of hills here that are a bit tough, especially as the KM's mount up...

I also read that some people still keep the small chainring on and when needed just 'manually' shift from the NW blade to the small ring, is anyone doing this or will it cause problems.

On shorter 30km rides I don't think I will have any problems but hills over a long distance could become soul destroyers!

And is a Shimano 42T cassette recommended over the Suntour version?
Not fussed about the extra few grams of weight...more about the lifespan of the cassette.

Thanks

Why go 1x10 when you're considering "manually adjustment" on a 2x10?

In that instance you should probably just go 1x11 and you will have enough range for climbing with the cassette covering from 11t up to 50t depending on you requirements

Why go 1x10 when you're considering "manually adjustment" on a 2x10?

In that instance you should probably just go 1x11 and you will have enough range for climbing with the cassette covering from 11t up to 50t depending on you requirements

I think 1x11 means upgrading my rear wheel though? (and then obviously shifter and RD....)

Maybe I should see how I feel at the end of a month of riding 1x10?

I think the 3x9 made me a bit lazy as basically there was a gear for everything!

i still ride 1x10 because it suits my needs. 32T up front...11-36 in the rear on a 29"bike. I don't know...maybe my legs are stronger than average or something but i'm almost never in the 36t cog at the back. i couldn't imagine how slow you would go with 50t in the rear and a 30T in front like alot of people run. Swear i'll fall over going that slow haha.

i've run 34T front as well...a bit more cruising speed but 32T is the sweet spot for me. 

theres a Praxis 10 speed cassette on here somewhere. brand new. thinks its a 11-42 or something for relatively cheap.

8/9/10/11 all fit on the same shimano freebody.

mtb cassettes are not the same as road ones if you are googling an answer itv spacing.

8/9/10/11 all fit on the same shimano freebody.

mtb cassettes are not the same as road ones if you are googling an answer itv spacing.

Except SRAM and e-13 11 speed cassettes, they require an XD driver. Shimano and Sunrace 11 speed fits the standard driver your 10 speed is on

Except SRAM and e-13 11 speed cassettes, they require an XD driver. Shimano and Sunrace 11 speed fits the standard driver your 10 speed is on

he did allude to running Shimano and my post was pretty clear about shimano 8-11spd cassette/free body compatibility lol....

Not to mention Sram NX also fits on shimano freebodies.

he did allude to running Shimano and my post was pretty clear about shimano 8-11spd cassette/free body compatibility lol....

Just trying to help bud, no offence intended ????

Nowhere do you allude to shimano cassettes here, only the freehub...so your comment is not clear.

I think 1x11 means upgrading my rear wheel though? (and then obviously shifter and RD....)

Maybe I should see how I feel at the end of a month of riding 1x10?

I think the 3x9 made me a bit lazy as basically there was a gear for everything!

We have just completed the upgrade from 3x9 to 1x11.

As it was a Shimano freehub, I was able to slip on the 11 speed Sunrace  :thumbup:   :clap:

To ensure a nice wide range we opted for the 11x50 Sunrace cassette.

It also meant getting a new shifter and derailure.  Cheapest would have been an upgrade kit, but my local bike shop advised me to get the Shimano XT shifter and derailure, paired with the Sunrace cassette.  It was only a few rand more expensive.

We were advised to keep the chain as long as possible, so that the hanger just clears when on the small gear at the back -

post-110956-0-24536500-1558283964_thumb.jpg

Worth noting (as in the last picture) that on the very large cogg the hanger is NOT stretched far forward .... try to avoid excessive strain on the hanger ....

It WORKS very nicely  :thumbup:   :clap:

It took some handtools and elbow-grease to finish off the 3x crank to fit the single ring neatly ...

post-110956-0-41090100-1558284097_thumb.jpg

And this is what the final product looks like

post-110956-0-26089700-1558283897_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-33743200-1558283934_thumb.jpg

i still ride 1x10 because it suits my needs. 32T up front...11-36 in the rear on a 29"bike. I don't know...maybe my legs are stronger than average or something but i'm almost never in the 36t cog at the back. i couldn't imagine how slow you would go with 50t in the rear and a 30T in front like alot of people run. Swear i'll fall over going that slow haha.

i've run 34T front as well...a bit more cruising speed but 32T is the sweet spot for me. 

theres a Praxis 10 speed cassette on here somewhere. brand new. thinks its a 11-42 or something for relatively cheap.

Hiehie ....

YES, it is SUPER slow !!

50 at the back, 30 in the front, doing about 80rpm on the pedals you barely do 5km/h .... frankly you can walk faster up the hill (and I DID walk faster than 4 others at last weeks event)

BUT, for those on a recovery ride .... you get used to doing such slow speeds up the hills, and then one day you realise you got to the top without using the largest cogg ... and that 50 cogg only gets used less and less ....  

I dont see any experienced riders needing such low ratios.  BUT, it is very handy for those getting back in the game.  And cheap enough to up-size the front ring as your legs get back in shape.

1x10 is great. My HT is a 26er and I run 11-42 x 34. Not ideal on the really steep stuff but a swap to a 32 would solve that. Mine runs a standard XT medium cage and a Saint shifter.

Just trying to help bud, no offence intended

sorry if it came across that way, but none meant and none taken. sorry ^_^

Nowhere do you allude to shimano cassettes here, only the freehub...so your comment is not clear.

"And is a Shimano 42T cassette recommended over the Suntour version?"

- enough to asume he runs Shimano drivetrain i would say. anyway. no stress. ^_^ 

Hiehie ....

YES, it is SUPER slow !!

50 at the back, 30 in the front, doing about 80rpm on the pedals you barely do 5km/h 

snip

can imagine. i guess thats the most reason behind dropping 2x for 1x. As in you need larger cogs to get up stuff perhaps. The small cogs up to mid cassette mostly stay the same.

can imagine. i guess thats the most reason behind dropping 2x for 1x. As in you need larger cogs to get up stuff perhaps. The small cogs up to mid cassette mostly stay the same.

Actually with a 2x you could have the same insane low ratio.

Some 2x cranks come with 22, though the norm now is 24.

With a 32 in front paired to a 50 at the back you get a 0,64 ratio

A 2x with a 24 in front can be paired with the 36 at the back to give an even lower 0,63  :w00t:   The 2x then also provides a better top end ... so from a "range" perspective a 2x is still a very good option.

but MAN, I love the simplicity of only having to fiddle with a single gear ... 

Archived