SLX 1x11 or 2x11

Ruru

Based on my cals the big problem is your 32 ad the 29er wheels

to get gearing equivalency for climbing you need a 30T chainring and the New XT 11-46 cassette

You will still be geared to do over 40km/hr on the flats but I suspect that this is not a very big requirement

I also considered the bigger wheels when comparing gear ratios. But does the wheel size make such a big difference in how hard it feels to pedal the bike? If you take exactly the same gears on a 27.5 and a 29er, theoretically it should be 5% harder pn the bigger wheel. My feeling is that I can push a little harder than what is required to get a 27.5 up a hill with 24/36 (0.66). 32/46 is just 0.69, though on the 29er. I already spin out on the 32/11. Going to 30t chainring and bigger cassette will basically cost the same as getting 2x upgrade bits.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also considered the bigger wheels when comparing gear ratios. But does the wheel size make such a big difference in how hard it feels to pedal the bike? If you take exactly the same gears on a 27.5 and a 29er, theoretically it should be 5% harder pn the bigger wheel. My feeling is that I can push a little harder than what is required to get a 27.5 up a hill with 24/36 (0.66). 32/46 is just 0.69, though on the 29er. I already spin out on the 32/11. Going to 30t chainring and bigger cassette will basically cost the same as getting 2x upgrade bits.

5% is a LOT !!

My commuter is a 27,5, and my trail bike a 29er.  With the same "low ratio" the bikes FEEL totally differently on a hill !!

The 27,5 simply climbs up a vertical rock face .... BUT, it also tops out much sooner ....

Even more so with a 26'' .... but if you understand the maths (or if you can read the gearing tables), just select the correct "Big ring", to suit your bike setup ...

Yes there is a big difference in how the gears feel on the climbs. The 27.5 always feels more punchy even with the gearing equalised

Got a 30t chainring with the 11/42 cassette. It makes a bit of a difference. Was able to do a big climb today and the granny gear worked. Thanks for all the advice. Don’t think spinning out is going to be as big an issue as I thought it would.