Chain Salvage...?

So this weekend I made a noob mistake. 
Took my chain off for a deep clean, let it soak in paraffin (old schools cool man), scrubbed it, dried it off, etc. But when I wanted to put the chain back on the roller and bushing from the links where the masterlink connects to was missing in action (both ends).  :cursing: 

By my own powers of deduction, I realised they are swimming in the bottom of a 5l old motor oil can somewhere in the local Midas's used oil container. Seeing as I just poured the used paraffin in there after the clean. #facepalm #lotsofswearing #poephol

So I suppose my question is can I just replace the bushing and roller with one from a salvage chain at my local Bike shop? The chain has lots of life left (only 1500km on it [GX eagle] and not close to replacement time) and I just don't want to chuck it away for no reason. 

I assume the risk here is that the replacement roller and bushing could be worn more than my current chain. Are there other caveats?

*edit: spelling*
Edited by anybody seen george?

Did you check the wear on the chain with a tool, or just estimating? My last GX Eagle chain was well worn by about 1300kms and I really take care of my drive train. Rather replace the chain, than causing wear on your cassette. 

As for the salvage chain, just check the wear on that chain too. If the chain is too far gone then it's probably not the best way to go, but if your chain is also close to end of life then I guess it's all the same. 

Only just past .25 on the park tool now. Clean your drivetrain more frequently.  :whistling:   :devil:  ;)

Did you check the wear on the chain with a tool, or just estimating? My last GX Eagle chain was well worn by about 1300kms and I really take care of my drive train. Rather replace the chain, than causing wear on your cassette. 

As for the salvage chain, just check the wear on that chain too. If the chain is too far gone then it's probably not the best way to go, but if your chain is also close to end of life then I guess it's all the same. 

Made me chuckle  :w00t:

Magnet

Edited by anybody seen george?

Yes I suppose you can - done it lots of times - Or simply take out the inner link with the missing roller and add one from the salvage chain then use 2 master links, some of my chains have had up to 3 master links by the time it cam to replacing them