Road Bike Size

others187

Hello guys, 

I am looking at buying my first road bicycle.

I have been riding Giant mountain bikes which I am happy with. 

I am looking at this Giant road bike:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/za/bikes-defy-advanced

My height is 175cm and inseam 82cm.

Looking on the Giant site I see the small is for 165cm - 175cm 

The medium is 171cm to 181cm

Should I go for the small or the medium frame.

Thanks for recommendations!

Medium would be my guess.

I have same inseam but a few cm shorter and would fit on the small with a 100mm stem

if you opt for the small you'll likely have a 120 mm stem and the saddle height at 72-73cm. Pretty much maximum extension.

If you opt for the medium you'll likely use a 100mm stem but have a bit more seat post to play with. You will also have less spacers under the stem due to the longer head tube of the medium.

The defy is more of an endurance bike so the more upright position will more beneficial to someone buying their first road bike

My measurements are very similar and yes, we fall between sizes on most brands.

You'll probably find both could fit with the correct length stem.

The difference in top tube is generally about 1cm.

The other thing to consider is the difference in head tube length and the drop from saddle to handle bar.

S will be quite aggressive while M will be a little more relaxed.

I’m 176 and usually sit between a small and a medium .I tend to go with the medium as closest to my bike fit figures.Small you may need loads of spacers on the stem where a medium you could slam the stem[emoji106]

Take the bike you currently riding and let the guys advise you or get a proper measurement done.

I’m 176 and usually sit between a small and a medium .I tend to go with the medium as closest to my bike fit figures.Small you may need loads of spacers on the stem where a medium you could slam the stem[emoji106]

Take the bike you currently riding and let the guys advise you or get a proper measurement done.

1.76 as well and my last 3 bikes have all been 54cm frames which I guess is a medium. According to some charts I should be on a 56cm, but the one bike I had which was a 56cm I always felt stretched out. Frames are also not created equal, eg a frame with an aggressive geometry will be totally different than one more geared towards endurance.

Like gummibear said, have a proper bike fit done, it isn’t solely based on your length, that just gets you into the ballpark. Factors like flexibility also play a part and are taken into consideration.

I do believe taking the bike for a test ride around the block won’t really tell you anything. The real aches and pains only really start after a while in the saddle

If you are very flexible and can/want to ride/race in the drops the small may be the way to go. You could always go longer in the stem.

Hello guys, 

Thank you for all the advice! 

I don't think I'll be racing, just a bit of fun exercise.

I have decided to take the medium! 

Hello guys, 

Thank you for all the advice! 

I don't think I'll be racing, just a bit of fun exercise.

I have decided to take the medium! 

Please give some feedback once you have done a few rides.  :thumbup:

same size ... same questions ....  :whistling:

1.76 as well and my last 3 bikes have all been 54cm frames which I guess is a medium. According to some charts I should be on a 56cm, but the one bike I had which was a 56cm I always felt stretched out. Frames are also not created equal, eg a frame with an aggressive geometry will be totally different than one more geared towards endurance.

Like gummibear said, have a proper bike fit done, it isn’t solely based on your length, that just gets you into the ballpark. Factors like flexibility also play a part and are taken into consideration.

I do believe taking the bike for a test ride around the block won’t really tell you anything. The real aches and pains only really start after a while in the saddle

Please tell more ....

This rain has me thinking about the ideal bike for a trainer setup, maybe the odd weekend ride.  Certainly not racing, more relaxed seating ....

PS - I am between M and L on most MTB size charts, though I fit better on the L.  Does this imply M on a road bike  (1,76cm tall, long femer)

Endurance frame will have shorter reach and higher stack for the same seat tube length and angle.

Race bikes tend to be longer reach and lower stack