Schwalbe vs Maxxis

Hi guys and girls

I am looking for some personal experiences.

I am currently running Nobby Nic 2.35 front with Rocket Ron 2.25 rear.

Now I am sitting with a set of Maxxis Ardent race 2.35 and Ikon 2.2.

The Maxxis look like a great choice for racing, but according to the info I could find they have more rolling resistance than even the Nobby Nic.

How do they stack up in the real world?

Thanks looking forward to hearing your experiences.

I don't think those Maxxis are as soft as the Schwalbe's - the Maxxis will probably last longer but not grip as nicely.  I cannot say anything about the rolling resistance.  

I currently run crossmark on the rear and monorail in front but am planning to get a set of Rocket Ron's and Nobby Nics soon (again) because I used to like them for the grip.   The only reason why my last tyre change included the Maxxis was because I did a lot of riding on road and the Schwalbe's didn't last long on road and therefore the maxxis were a more economical option.

But for ardent and Ikon I have no personal reference and just assume they will be harder because of my crossmark and monorail experience.

So, for durability my choice will be Maxxiss, but for confidence and grip Schwalbe!

Should ask @thermophage to chime on here. He LOVES maxxis... Or hates. Can't be sure.

Currently riding Ardent race/ikon combo to try it out it’s ok but not as good as rocket Ron racing Ralph combo I’m used to, will keep these for training and use the Schwalbe combo for racing

I rode Ardent's 2.25 front and back for about 2000km without any hassles, I can admit that the Maxxis does loose its form after close to 1500km and then it does look like your wheel needs to be trued  :whistling:. Other than that they're pretty much bullet proof. 

I currently ride Mezcal in the front and Barzo in the rear (both 2.35) and they also offer me quite a lot of grip. The other thing to note is that I'm not someone focused on tires and all the technical aspects of it, if I take a corner and the bike doesn't feel stable I just take the next corner slightly slower  :D

i ride a pair of the new Schwalbes in addix/apex/snakeskin - blue compound (29x2.6)

you get them in Magic Mary, Nobby Nic , Hand Damph and Eddy Current AFAIK.

Addix was apparently created by the same guy that did black chilli compound for Conti. The old notion that Schwalbe tires are made of cheese is just that...old and outdated imo.

If it doesnt say Addix on the sidewall they are the old ones.

Apex casing (almost impossible to find locally unfortunately) is like the Maxxis Double Down (dual layer)...similarly unicorn in SA.

Have about 1000km on my new blue compound 29x2.6 tires and they dont even show any signs of wear yet...with a mix of tar (i ride to the trails) and off-road use at 1.7bar most of the time.

DHF's are super nice but they are defo more resistant to rolling in the rear lol. The next set i want to try is 29x3.0 DHF front and a 29x2.6 something in the rear because reasons :D

Edited by morneS555

Thanks guys for the feedback.

I am Not to concerned about the grip, Schwalbe will most likely always be my everyday tyre for playing.

I was just contemplating over if the Maxxis would be faster for races as most races are not technical you don't need as much grip.

But reviews say maxxis ikon has more rolling resistance than nobby nic and I can't see how.

This is why I want to hear from local guys on their experience.

Splitting hairs here, but the Ardent Race does roll a bit slower than the Rocket Ron or Icon indeed. Nothing compared to proper trail tires, just saying. I've had them and did notice. 

Splitting hairs here, but the Ardent Race does roll a bit slower than the Rocket Ron or Icon indeed. Nothing compared to proper trail tires, just saying. I've had them and did notice.

thank you so much this helps a lot. Was thinking about a ardent race for front.

Hi guys and girls

I am looking for some personal experiences.

I am currently running Nobby Nic 2.35 front with Rocket Ron 2.25 rear.

Now I am sitting with a set of Maxxis Ardent race 2.35 and Ikon 2.2.

The Maxxis look like a great choice for racing, but according to the info I could find they have more rolling resistance than even the Nobby Nic.

How do they stack up in the real world?

Thanks looking forward to hearing your experiences.

The Schwalbe tyre will roll better and have a little less grip at the extreme end of the adhesion.

The Schwalbe tyre will roll better and have a little less grip at the extreme end of the adhesion.

thanks, sorry for the dumb question but what do you mean with, less grip at the extreme end of the adhesion?

thanks, sorry for the dumb question but what do you mean with, less grip at the extreme end of the adhesion?

I mean that the Maxxis probably has a higher level of ultimate grip in corners compared to the Schwalbe's but also that 95% of riders will never get beyond this level by choice.

within the usable grip riders won't really be able to tell the difference