650B or 29"

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to most here, when you ride rough stuff on a 650b, you will be bouncing here and there and everywhere!

I will remind everyone that the UCI DH circuit is still occasionally being won by 650b wheels.... Some of those tracks are pretty rough

Only reason my missus rides a 27.5 (hardtail and Dual Suspension) is because they don't make 9'ers that small.

Some valuable advice in between the usual hubbery.

Look at what you are riding, if you have been riding for a while, and you are used to the 29'er I don't see a reason to change.

If you are at the sharper end of the marathon/xco scene I would take all the technical malarkey posted into consideration, other than that, ride whatever puts a smile on your dial...

Yes the issue is they only make new mtb in 650 b for ladies. Why I don't know. I have a 29 ladies small. Had it a few years. Looking to upgrade

Yes the issue is they only make new mtb in 650 b for ladies. Why I don't know. I have a 29 ladies small. Had it a few years. Looking to upgrade

Yes some manufacturers due to the layout and wheelbase they target can't fit 29inch wheels into the design and achieve 100mm or more of travel.

Some do (like GIANT) but then they make the bike very long which is sometimes a problem for ladies with narrower shoulders and less upper body strength than men. Don't shoot me, this is just design decisions.

Anyone who thinks that a 650b wheel is going to be slower over a marathon course has never ridden one. As mentioned, there is some places where a slightly bigger wheel will roll a bit better but then you have to consider how fast are you going? If going slowly the added control of the 650b bike may actually be faster even if the ride feels more choppy.

Best thing is too pick a 650b wheeled bike that you like and get a test ride and then the smallest  possible 29 er and compare how you feel on each

Yes some manufacturers due to the layout and wheelbase they target can't fit 29inch wheels into the design and achieve 100mm or more of travel.

Some do (like GIANT) but then they make the bike very long which is sometimes a problem for ladies with narrower shoulders and less upper body strength than men. Don't shoot me, this is just design decisions.

Anyone who thinks that a 650b wheel is going to be slower over a marathon course has never ridden one. As mentioned, there is some places where a slightly bigger wheel will roll a bit better but then you have to consider how fast are you going? If going slowly the added control of the 650b bike may actually be faster even if the ride feels more choppy.

Best thing is too pick a 650b wheeled bike that you like and get a test ride and then the smallest possible 29 er and compare how you feel on each

Awesome thanks