650B or 29"

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marielou, I have ridden both 650b and 29er.

the differences are hard to quantify. The big wheels definitely get you through rock gardens faster but the smaller wheels turn better and accelerate better. They're easier to climb with as well.

But and this is a big BUT..

Try finding 650b tyres for an XC consistently. Local shops just don't stock them and if they do it's one or two. You should really go to an XCO race, and an Enduro and ask the ladies competing what they prefer and why.

ask around at your local trail center as well but ask as many ladies as you can. You'll be surprised how willing they will be to help you make an informed decision.

asking a male dominated forum is only going to deliver a male perspective to mountain biking

Perfect thank you

Also have held back a bit on replying here. I honestly think wheelsize should not be your first consideration when buying a bike, and definitely not a factor for trying to keep up with others. The myth that 29" wheels roll faster on open roads is a myth - your gearing and tyres determine how fast you roll.

Where 650b is faster is cornering and acceleration as DnD said. They do tend to be more fun and nimble bikes - BUT geometry of the bike has a bigger impact than wheel size.

Anyone that tells you to go one way or the other is just sharing an opinion - you have to ride a few bikes and pick the one you feel comfortable on - don't buy into marketing hype around 29" being faster.

That said, I personally ride 29" wheels on my Enduro bike, it's a sled - sluggish in the corners but it monster trucks over things. On my XC bike I switch between 650b and 29" inch, but I find myself riding the smaller wheels 90% of the time as I just find the bike more fun, and flickable on the trails. Where I do appreciate the 29" wheels is on open roads - but again, I think that comes down to my faster rollong tyre choice on the 29" wheels as well as the wheelset being a bit lighter than the 650b wheelset, not the diameter of the wheel.

What do you mean by rolling tyre choice?

I'm rather surprised by how balanced the responses were actually, its usually more 1-sided. 2 things I think the responses missed -

1. It almost always depends on who you're riding with. You more naturally pace yourself to the rest of the group if you're riding the same wheel size, and most groups ride 29 (also sharing spares, upgrades, etc.). From experience you can outsprint a 29er with a 27.5, but only for about 800m, then the momentum of the bigger wheel catches up.

2. If you're not riding club rides or racing then you might enjoy the easier handling and smaller steering movements of the 27.5 wheel. I do love riding mine, but I recognise its limitations I a group.

Noted and thank you

What do you mean by rolling tyre choice?

How fast your bike rolls depends largely on what tyre tread pattern and size you use. For example, a Maxxis Aspen tyre in 2.2" width (XC tyre) will roll faster and have less drag and weigh less than a Maxxis Minion DHF in 2.5" width (an aggresive trail tyre). Of course it will also have less grip - but that is the trade off. Tyres make a much bigger difference to how hard you have to pedal to keep to a certain speed than wheel size does.

How fast your bike rolls depends largely on what tyre tread pattern and size you use. For example, a Maxxis Aspen tyre in 2.2" width (XC tyre) will roll faster and have less drag and weigh less than a Maxxis Minion DHF in 2.5" width (an aggresive trail tyre). Of course it will also have less grip - but that is the trade off. Tyres make a much bigger difference to how hard you have to pedal to keep to a certain speed than wheel size does.

Thank you

This thread is so last year. BUT.....................

I have a modern 2018 29 er trail bike 130mm and i have a 2013 650b trail bike 140mm.  The big bike is better for rolling over the mean gnarly nasty stuff its more stable and it is probably faster downhill as all my PB are on this bike,  the 650b defs climbs better i certainly feel like it accelarates easier and it is defintely better to jump and play with.  

If i only had to have 1 i would probably go 29er but at the end of the day a bike is moes a bike and they both equally capable as the weakest link in the setup is me.  So what im saying isjust get what you want it doesnt really make that much of a difference.

Why?

According to most here, when you ride rough stuff on a 650b, you will be bouncing here and there and everywhere!

I will remind everyone that the UCI DH circuit is still occasionally being won by 650b wheels.... Some of those tracks are pretty rough

Edited by Jewbacca

This thread is so last year. BUT.....................

I have a modern 2018 29 er trail bike 130mm and i have a 2013 650b trail bike 140mm. The big bike is better for rolling over the mean gnarly nasty stuff its more stable and it is probably faster downhill as all my PB are on this bike, the 650b defs climbs better i certainly feel like it accelarates easier and it is defintely better to jump and play with.

If i only had to have 1 i would probably go 29er but at the end of the day a bike is moes a bike and they both equally capable as the weakest link in the setup is me. So what im saying isjust get what you want it doesnt really make that much of a difference.

Cool thanks.

Only reason my missus rides a 27.5 (hardtail and Dual Suspension) is because they don't make 9'ers that small.

Some valuable advice in between the usual hubbery.

Look at what you are riding, if you have been riding for a while, and you are used to the 29'er I don't see a reason to change.

If you are at the sharper end of the marathon/xco scene I would take all the technical malarkey posted into consideration, other than that, ride whatever puts a smile on your dial...