650B or 29"

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marielou, I have ridden both 650b and 29er.

the differences are hard to quantify. The big wheels definitely get you through rock gardens faster but the smaller wheels turn better and accelerate better. They're easier to climb with as well.

But and this is a big BUT..

Try finding 650b tyres for an XC consistently. Local shops just don't stock them and if they do it's one or two. You should really go to an XCO race, and an Enduro and ask the ladies competing what they prefer and why.

ask around at your local trail center as well but ask as many ladies as you can. You'll be surprised how willing they will be to help you make an informed decision.

asking a male dominated forum is only going to deliver a male perspective to mountain biking

Also have held back a bit on replying here. I honestly think wheelsize should not be your first consideration when buying a bike, and definitely not a factor for trying to keep up with others. The myth that 29" wheels roll faster on open roads is a myth - your gearing and tyres determine how fast you roll.

Where 650b is faster is cornering and acceleration as DnD said. They do tend to be more fun and nimble bikes - BUT geometry of the bike has a bigger impact than wheel size.

Anyone that tells you to go one way or the other is just sharing an opinion - you have to ride a few bikes and pick the one you feel comfortable on - don't buy into marketing hype around 29" being faster.

That said, I personally ride 29" wheels on my Enduro bike, it's a sled - sluggish in the corners but it monster trucks over things. On my XC bike I switch between 650b and 29" inch, but I find myself riding the smaller wheels 90% of the time as I just find the bike more fun, and flickable on the trails. Where I do appreciate the 29" wheels is on open roads - but again, I think that comes down to my faster rollong tyre choice on the 29" wheels as well as the wheelset being a bit lighter than the 650b wheelset, not the diameter of the wheel.

Thank you for those of you who did the effort in providing me with some useful info.

Have you ridden with the BL Sat MTB Group. 

I'm rather surprised by how balanced the responses were actually, its usually more 1-sided. 2 things I think the responses missed - 

1. It almost always depends on who you're riding with. You more naturally pace yourself to the rest of the group if you're riding the same wheel size, and most groups ride 29 (also sharing spares, upgrades, etc.). From experience you can outsprint a 29er with a 27.5, but only for about 800m, then the momentum of the bigger wheel catches up.

2. If you're not riding club rides or racing then you might enjoy the easier handling and smaller steering movements of the 27.5 wheel. I do love riding mine, but I recognise its limitations I a group.

I have both a 29’er and 27.5.

They are very different bikes, the 29 being XC and the 27.5 is a trail bike. With both I can comfortably stay in group rides, but do have to work a bit harder because of 2.6 tyres on the 27.5. On the trails the smaller wheels are a absolute blast, and I enjoy it tremendously.

There are 6 ladies in our group on 27.5’s and on a Benoni - Kitty Hawk - Benoni they easily avg over 23km/h. All of them have done Transbaviaans, Sani2C, Tonteldoos and Berg100 on their smaller wheels.

It is more important to be comfortable on the bike than wheel size, and snooty opinions to boot.

TL;DR. Just came here to say...unless you're a very tiny person or child. 29er

Ghries summed it up perfectly. My experience exactly, although i only test rode a 29er stumpjumper in Jonkershoek. Did a back to back on the same trails with my 650b with old school geo. Would love to try it with a slacker 650 long travel bike.

Noted

You learn quick.

Good job, ma'am.

Get fit on the 29er and learn to handle it properly. My wife is also small, but preferred the 29er over her 650b

Strong fit person on A 2001 26 er will beat A noob on A 2020 29er any bike any discipline

A strong fit person on A 2020 29er will will whoop A noob on the same bike into another bloodgroup

You are 60% of the equation if not more

You are on a 29er I gather that you are probably looking for more speed in order to keep up with your group beter, which leads me to thi k you sway towards xc or marathon

I'm that case 29er Will be faster than 650b if all other factors are neutralized

BUT as I said earlier you are probably 60% or more of this game

Edited by BaGearA

Strong fit person on A 2001 26 er will beat A noob on A 2020 29er any bike any discipline

A strong fit person on A 2020 29er will will whoop A noob on the same bike into another bloodgroup

You are on a 29er I gather that you are probably looking for more speed in order to keep up with your group beter, which leads me to thi k you sway towards xc or marathon

I'm that case 29er Will be faster than 650b if all other factors are neutralized

BUT as I said earlier you are probably 60% or more of this gameT

Please just stop posting this untruth. Its not backed up by the physics. Gearing corrected they are the same speed. But the rider makes the difference and therefore rider comfort is a bigger deciding factor than wheel size.

BUT as I said earlier you are probably 60% or more of this game

Please just stop posting this untruth. Its not backed up by the physics. Gearing corrected they are the same speed. But the rider makes the difference and therefore rider comfort is a bigger deciding factor than wheel size.

Agree and disagree with both of you.

On a flat piece of road with no rocks, bumps, etc, a 27.5" (or a 20" wheel for that matter) wheel will roll the same speed as a 29" wheel given that tyres are the same and gearing is corrected. ie: bigger gearing on the smaller wheel. This is a basic equation. 

Introduce some pebbles, rocks, bumps, then the 29" wheel rolls faster as the roll-over effect of the bigger wheel comes into play. It will take slightly less effort when compared to a smaller 27.5" to keep the wheels turning. But this said, I'm not convinced anyone will feel the difference on most trails and gravel roads/especially not the ones encountered when riding marathon terain - I certainly don't notice it.

Less attention should be given to wheel size, and more to tyre choice - they make a much bigger difference to rolling speed.

Please stop with this fantasy world you live in where we ride Mountain bikes in cargo warehouses with perfectly level floors with no air resistance, zero friction and gearing that is corrected for the wheelsize

This is MOUNTAIN biking where gearing is never corrected for the wheel size where the conditions change every metre

I'm sorry you think that in the real world 650b is just as fast a 29er but that fact of the matter is when you consider all the factors it won't be

Edited by BaGearA