What saddles are the big boys riding??

Jonesy

Thanks for all the input especially the findings from personal experience. I must say that a bike fit is something I must look at as I've never done one. Also, I don't think my sit-bone measurements were very accurate so I'll get another reading. Maybe this will go a long way to resolve my comfort issues. If it doesn't, I guess I'll keep looking for "the one".

Thanks!

I'm going to be tied to a pole and flogged by the BikeHub for saying this, a bike fit is so over-rated.

A bike fit measures you up to the last milimeter. The old fashioned, let say "manual methods" are accurate enough. If these manual methods are a few mm or degrees out here and there, our bodies will adapt without you even knowing it.

With saddles, you need to differentiate between a saddle that just requires getting used to and a saddle that doesn't suit your body geometry. Most of the time, you just need to spend time on it just to get used to it. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the Ryder swift 2. I just find it very comfy and they even have a 30 day return if you are not happy with it.

Wow... thanks. Then I'll definitely give that a go!

I'm going to be tied to a pole and flogged by the BikeHub for saying this, a bike fit is so over-rated.

A bike fit measures you up to the last milimeter. The old fashioned, let say "manual methods" are accurate enough. If these manual methods are a few mm or degrees out here and there, our bodies will adapt without you even knowing it.

With saddles, you need to differentiate between a saddle that just requires getting used to and a saddle that doesn't suit your body geometry. Most of the time, you just need to spend time on it just to get used to it.

This makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Not a big guy -  but I am going to switch to a different type of saddle.  Yesterday I tried my old RFR saddle with a slight groove in the middle and it made a significant difference on a 75 km ride, with much less pressure than my more expensive Selle Italia SLR XP.  

Dunno what changed in the last 5 years because the Selle was always awesome and comfortable, but it seems my behind is now asking for a proper groove along the middle?   Maybe some things have increased in size and now needs more room?

I ordered a FABRIC Line saddle for the new bike so hope it will be more comfy for those 2 hr + rides. 

So does anyone have a sure-fire DIY approach to measuring seat bone width?

Funny everyone saying that getting the fitment done worked wonders. I trust that it did, but when i had mine done i was recommended the narrow 127mm seat, and it was only till i got a syncros xr 143mm seat that everything felt so much better. Its not very padded at all but the shape seems to work just fine for me. Someone else mentioned a fabric scoop - i would absolutely give that a go. Most comfortable seat ive ever been on, also the wider version. But as has also been mentioned, noone can tell you what seat to get as everyone is different.

Funny everyone saying that getting the fitment done worked wonders. I trust that it did, but when i had mine done i was recommended the narrow 127mm seat, and it was only till i got a syncros xr 143mm seat that everything felt so much better. Its not very padded at all but the shape seems to work just fine for me. Someone else mentioned a fabric scoop - i would absolutely give that a go. Most comfortable seat ive ever been on, also the wider version. But as has also been mentioned, noone can tell you what seat to get as everyone is different.

I'm not a big guy at all, my weight fluctuates between the 85kg-90kg mark, with the odd occasion up to 92kg's.

I do however have an extremely sensitive butt!! Went through a couple of saddles which included the Arione, a couple of Spaz models and the Rapide. Rapide wasn't bad but still got uncomfortable after about 2 hours in the saddle. Friend of mine convinced me to get a Brooks 17 Narrow, have not looked back!!!!

It took about 2 months of "breaking in" (not sure who broke, me or the saddle), but now I love it and it only gets better!!! Can easily go out for a quick hour ride in whatever I have on without the need to change to bibs. 

I come from a horseriding background, and the leather just makes sense. I used to spend hours a week, probably about 20, on a saddle, and the saddle shaped around me. If someone else got on it would not be comfy at all!!!

I used the tin foil on a soft surface method.    Take a thick soft like piece of carpet or something similar and put it on a low standing flat surface like a coffee table so when you sit on it your knees can easily move upward.  Put a large piece of tin foil on the carpet and sit on it.   Move forward and sidewards and lift you knees slightly.  Your bones should make 2 clearly visible dents / circles in the foil.   Get the center point of each dent / circle and measure the distance between the 2 points.   You then need to add 10 to 15 mm to get close to the estimate seat width (according to the know hows). 

I did it 2 weeks ago and measured 130 mm width.    So my ideal saddle width must be in the 140's  ??

I went to the spez store and asked to sit on their sitbone measuring pad and to be shown appropriate saddles.

They complied, measured and showed me options. I then went and tested a mates saddle that was in one of their options, and now I ride it on all my bikes. Spez Henge 144m if my memory is correct.

Between 87 and 92kg.

Bike and @ss fit are essential.

My preference is Spez Power, by far the most comfy saddle I've ever ridden. Long (Joberg2C) and short (local trails) distances. Had a Fizik, too much pressure on soft tissue.