DH Swiss 54T upgrade?

Sidmouth

Bought a wheelset with a 350 hub, i had no idea about the DT Swiss ratchet system by that 18T ratchet is horrible the contact points are to spread out, so I paid the R1995.00 and upgraded to the 54T.

inserted as per the video, very simple, on the first steep hill i strip the 54T , im 92KG, did some research and found its a ferry common problem.

I honestly think that ratchet sttem is not as good as the pawls.

anyone has the same issue, or is 36T the way to go

Bought a wheelset with a 350 hub, i had no idea about the DT Swiss ratchet system by that 18T ratchet is horrible the contact points are to spread out, so I paid the R1995.00 and upgraded to the 54T.

inserted as per the video, very simple, on the first steep hill i strip the 54T , im 92KG, did some research and found its a ferry common problem.

I honestly think that ratchet sttem is not as good as the pawls.

anyone has the same issue, or is 36T the way to go

Firstly I think people overthink the whole engagement thing. The 18T ratchet is more than enough.

Secondly the stripping of the 54T ratchet is common when too much lube has been applied. The system doesn't need much lube, just a thin sliver of the sticky stuff DT Swiss provides. Too much lube and the ratchet teeth won't engage properly.

Did you use the supplied stronger springs that comes with the 54T kit or did you just re use the older springs as most people do? If you did then that's a problems because the shallower teeth of the 54T Ratchet needs the stronger springs to hold it all together. There's also more friction now....

The 36T system is IME fool and two left thumbs proof..

It just needs a grease that is very tacky and not very much of it. The Tub you buy from GetStoked should last you the life of the hubs and its half life may kick in before the tub runs dry.

I would never fork out R2k just for the sound the 54T ractchet makes. I'd rathe get a Chris King Iso Drive Hub or a i9

Edited by DieselnDust

Firstly I think people overthink the whole engagement thing. The 18T ractchet is more than enough.

Secondly the stripping of the 54T ratchet is common when too much lube has been applied. The system doesn't need much lube, just a thin sliver of the sticky stuff DT Swiss provides. Too much lube and the ratchet teeth won't engage properly.

The 36T system is IME fool and two left thumbs proof..

It just needs a grease thats very tacky and not very much. The Tub you buy from GetStoked should last you the life of the hubs and its half life may kick in before the tub runs dry.

I would never fork out R2k just for the sound the 54T ractchet makes. I'd rathe get a Chris King Iso Drive Hub or a i9

This

I love the DT system. But would also never fork out 2k for what can only really be seen as vanity.

I'm a solid mid pack rider so XTR and other top shelf 'performance' components are lost on me.

I go between a Lyne hub, 2 x Hope pro2evo and a chris King hub and to be honest, the engagement between those 3 makes little to no difference to my riding.

I like the well worn in ring drive because it's quiet.

I hope you don't strip it. It's a good system, easy to service at home.

I've upgraded the internals on my DT Swiss hubs. Love the quick engagement, even though I did have some doubts that I would even notice, been riding for some weeks now and cannot complain for a moment. 

But I did only go for the 36t. 

• 4 weeks later...