Advice re gravel bike

tinmug

Nirvana: lightweight carbon gravel bike with 1x drivetrain

Currently on the Hmmm ... let's see list is:

1. Momsen 700 R355 2018
  2. Momsen 700 R355 2019 (more likely)
  3. Silverback Siablo CF

They are all much the same price (with Momsens on fat sale). Both Momsens are lighter than the Siablo, have better rims and hubs. Otherwise much of a muchness (I think?). Siablo looks great without paint, newer model. 

Anything with the new Shimano GRX system that my Google-zu cannot unearth?

Any other brands/models to consider (in similar – or less – price range)?

Anyone with a small carbon gravel bike with 1x system itching to upgrade?  :whistling:

Nirvana: lightweight carbon gravel bike with 1x drivetrain

Currently on the Hmmm ... let's see list is:

1. Momsen 700 R355 2018
  2. Momsen 700 R355 2019 (more likely)
  3. Silverback Siablo CF

They are all much the same price (with Momsens on fat sale). Both Momsens are lighter than the Siablo, have better rims and hubs. Otherwise much of a muchness (I think?). Siablo looks great without paint, newer model. 

Anything with the new Shimano GRX system that my Google-zu cannot unearth?

Any other brands/models to consider (in similar – or less – price range)?

Anyone with a small carbon gravel bike with 1x system itching to upgrade?  :whistling:

May I ask why you want to go 1x? I recently bought the Titan Switch Pro, full carbon, Ultegra 2x11 46/36 11-34T. I don't think you're going to get bikes with the GRX groupset locally just yet.

Recently bought a Momsen R355-one,

Very smooth bike

Only thing I have against it is the rear derailleur that does not have a clutch

I think the R355-two might have one,

Other than that very happy so far

May I ask why you want to go 1x? I recently bought the Titan Switch Pro, full carbon, Ultegra 2x11 46/36 11-34T. I don't think you're going to get bikes with the GRX groupset locally just yet.

It's for my wife, she wants 1x (who am I to argue :w00t: ).

I looked at the Titans – very nice bike at a really great price. I've emailed them and asked about buying with 1x drivetrain. Not too fussed about a SRAM drivetrain (her current GB has SRAM), but a few small changes to the GRX system looks very compelling.

Was in the same position as you a few months ago. Was looking at the Giant Revolt or the Rondo Ruut

https://www.rondobikes.co.za The Al retails for R 34 950.00

WOW, nice bikes! Thanks for the link, but she wants carbon (for weight ...). 

Think you first need to decide what you want to use the gravel bike for. Touring? Non technical MTB type rides?

My wife has a garage full of bikes, but she rides only two of them: full-sus MTB and steel-frame gravel bike. She's been toying with the idea of a carbon road bike. She rides every day, alternating between MTB and GB, and with us living in the stick(-ish) she spends much of her ride on dirt roads and tracks. A road bike doesn't make sense, or not as much sense as a decent gravel bike does. So no, not for touring, just 3-4 times a week mix of tar/gravel/dirt riding. 

And why gravel bike over the MTB: speed, aero. And because it's a great excuse for another bike, a different experience (but I don't need to explain that in a place like BikeHub). 

I'd forgotten about the Farr bikes: had a quick look but can only see frames (https://ridefarr.com/bikes-2/ goes to a frame kit when you press the Buy button)? I am missing something, no?  :huh:

It's for my wife, she wants 1x (who am I to argue :w00t: ).

I looked at the Titans – very nice bike at a really great price. I've emailed them and asked about buying with 1x drivetrain. Not too fussed about a SRAM drivetrain (her current GB has SRAM), but a few small changes to the GRX system looks very compelling.

WOW, nice bikes! Thanks for the link, but she wants carbon (for weight ...).

And why gravel bike over the MTB: speed, aero. And because it's a great excuse for another bike, a different experience (but I don't need to explain that in a place like BikeHub).

I am missing something, no? :huh:

From the use case you're suggesting I'd say sell the road bike, buy the Titan plus a set of road wheels.

I don't get wanting a 1x setup for gravel/tar riding, but then I'm divorced so maybe don't take my advice ;-)

(Edit) realised I might've misread your post, thought she already had a road bike

Edited by NC_lurker

What about the Trek checkpoint as an alternative option? :)

Too pricey (57K for the carbon model). Nice bike though. Also looked at Giant Revolt Advanced – looks good, priced pretty well but not sure about Giant rims, Giant brakes, Giant this, Giant that ... ?

Too pricey (57K for the carbon model). Nice bike though. Also looked at Giant Revolt Advanced – looks good, priced pretty well but not sure about Giant rims, Giant brakes, Giant this, Giant that ... ?

The new Giant 2020 Revolts don't have that funny brake box hydraulic / cable vibe. Just straight 105 hydraulic. Apparently the wheels are damn tough

What do those full bikes from Farr go for?

They had some amazing build options at one stage at what looked really reasonable.

This ^^^^

Think they did a full carbon build for around R35k

Was also looking at this some time back.

Ended up with the new Giant Revolt, very happy with it. At the moment there are only Carbon models available. Not sure if the Alu models will be released in SA

Have a look at the Titan range as well. Some really well spec'd options

Ended up with the new Giant Revolt, very happy with it. At the moment there are only Carbon models available. Not sure if the Alu models will be released in SA

Those new Titans look really good ????????

The new Giant 2020 Revolts don't have that funny brake box hydraulic / cable vibe. Just straight 105 hydraulic. Apparently the wheels are damn tough

That's good to know, will explore this for sure.

This ^^^^

Think they did a full carbon build for around R35k

Haven't found it just yet, but trying to establish if they still offer that ...  ^_^

Definitely on the cards. Thinking Swift Pro then change cassette and crank (to 1x)?

Quick question to those of you that have built up bikes: is it worth buying a frame (i.e. Farr) then all the bits separately and building up the bike? Worth it in terms of cost: of course the drivetrain alone will come close to matching the cost of the frame; then add wheels ($$)and all the other bits ...