Do I have a faulty shock? Xfusion O2 Pro RL

MarcoDB97

So I tried this method

Sounds like the negative air chamber might not be properly charged. Start by emptying the shock very slowly. Next, hold the rear wheel and pull the top tube up hard and hold it there for about 10 seconds. You might feel the air from the negative chamber release and the shock extend further. Then attach the pump and charge it 30 PSI at a time. After every 30 PSI, move the bike through around 30% of the stroke slowly around 10 times. Repeat until you get to 220 PSI. That should get you close to 25% sag.

Cool so I tried this method and re-inflated it and reached 220psi but that was still not getting the sag right then pumped it up to 240psi and that still measures about 15mm of the 45mm stroke which is 33% 

There are 3 kinds of "losing pressure" when inflating a shock.

1. Disconnecting and reconnecting the pump - when reconnecting the pump a certain amount of air will be released from the shock into the hose. This usually causes a pressure drop of about 10psi. The reading on the gauge before disconnecting the pump is correct - the chuck on a shock pump is designed to not release air from the shock when disconnected.

2. Large volume negative air springs use the air from the positive spring to charge. This is why on RS Debonair and Fox EVOL air cans, among others, the shock needs to be inflated in small increments, equalising pressure in between. Failing to do this will create a harsh breakaway and topout, and also make it look like the positive spring is losing pressure when the air is actually just being transferred via a port or valve to a different part of the can.

3. The shock is actually leaking.

If, once you've cycled the shock about 20 times, it still seems to be losing air, you probably have an actual leak. Try the method the_bob describes and see if you get a decent result.

As for maximum pressures - don't be scared to use the max pressure if you need to. These things are designed with a fair amount of safety margin.

It doesn't seem to be losing any air, I think I'll try pump it up a bit more and Saturday I'll take it to a shop that the Scott rep suggested, they said if they can't get it right they'll loan me a shock and send mine in for testing

So, does the sag stay at around 15mm regardless of going from 220 to 240PSI?

No it did decrease after adding more air, but probably about 1mm. Its on 15mm now with 240psi

Edited by MarcoDB97

20 PSI should make a fair difference. Ridgeway should be able to help get your sag sorted. If there is a problem I’m sure they’ll help get you sorted

20 PSI should make a fair difference. Ridgeway should be able to help get your sag sorted. If there is a problem I’m sure they’ll help get you sorted

Thanks going to pull through on Saturday, bit worried cause I'm riding the 947 MTB on Sunday though. So we'll see what they say. Thanks for all the advice :D

Seems Doddy from GMBN agrees with my diagnosis! Any word on what is wrong yet?

Your diagnosis is bang on - more pressure = less sag. There is no other way of dealing with it.

Seems Doddy from GMBN agrees with my diagnosis! Any word on what is wrong yet?

I did take it through to Ridgeway they took the shock off the bike and put a loan on, also a x-fusion shock in the O2 range.

Pumped the loan up to 150psi with the dudes at the shop and we got the 20-25% sag I was after. 

They're going to have a look at the shock and keep me updated but haven't heard anything yet.

Edited by MarcoDB97

From experience with Scott, you need to keep the pressure on them to get a result. But seeing as you have a working shock from them you should be ok until yours is fixed. Just do not accept yours back until you verify 100% it works at the shop.

From experience with Scott, you need to keep the pressure on them to get a result. But seeing as you have a working shock from them you should be ok until yours is fixed. Just do not accept yours back until you verify 100% it works at the shop.

Okay will do, thanks for the heads up. 

Ok, then what you're dealing with is a leaky main air spring seal - either the can is scratched or the seal is faulty.

Seller will most likely repair or replace under warranty.

Ok, then what you're dealing with is a leaky main air spring seal - either the can is scratched or the seal is faulty.

Seller will most likely repair or replace under warranty.

Ah I see then hopefully they do replace/repair it. Not sure how this could have happened on a new bicycle but I'm glad its getting sorted