Sensible to ride on R44 from Gordons Bay to Bettys Bay?

I FLY

I cannot see what the incident was? My wife and I regularly ride through the Strand to the Steenbras Dam climb.

It was an attack on a single cyclist, preceded by an attack on the two gentleman in the Madimac tops. the video of the pedestrian crossing is not the incident, but where it is described what happened later on. The text in the FB also explains clearly what happened. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a lovely road, ride in a group if you can, because its a little narrow, be visible back light etc. Enjoy what must be one of the most beautiful roads in the world.

A word of caution, do not try and ride from Gordan's Bay to Strand, lots of incidents on that stretch.

Listen to Patch

• 2 years later...

Looking to ride from Stb to Hermanus/Stanford.

Seems like to most risky part is not getting mugged between Strand and Gordon's Bay? 

Anyone with some feedback of how Clarens drive is and if it will be daft to do the Strand GB section alone?

23 minutes ago, Michael S said:

Seems like to most risky part is not getting mugged between Strand and Gordon's Bay? 

Anyone with some feedback of how Clarens drive is and if it will be daft to do the Strand GB section alone?

Lots of lone cyclists along this road.

That said ...

It is narrow, no shoulder

Rock falls

You will need to be alert.

Certainly on my "to do" list.   Just need to figure out the safest route from Lord Charles to Gordons Bay ....

1 hour ago, Michael S said:

from SSW side 

(this is the bit where you cruise a bit and save a little energy )

take De beers or Victoria all the way to beach road and take beach all the way till it rejoins Gordons bay drive (R44) opposite the Build it ......

this is the bit where you got to be awake if you riding early or alone ...

its dodgy for 3 odd k till the traffic circle at the cemetrery (so maybe here you burn some carbs and move )

lots of lost dodgy types hanging on the roadside -maybe you need to not stop completely at the lights if its traffic safe and give yourself some space from people on the roadsides

after the circle relax a bit and pick which route you prefer (beach road again

or stay on R44)

in reverse the same section is the one to watch but the drama happens on the other side of the road mostly 

its worth it Clarens Drive is the most beautiful ride and probably safer than most 

section from

hermanus to Stanford is a narrow road so keep your line and hug the road edge 

Edited by bikebloke