Maxxis Ikon Tubeless or Not

chewiesw

Hello

I am newbie to the sport. I was sold a 29' hard-tail with Maxxis Ikon tires (29x2.20 65psi nothing else on the tire wall) and told they were tubeless. I have been running them tubeless since the beginning of August with no problems, admittedly I haven't done many rides. I managed to burp the front tire on the weekend and took it to my local bike shop to have it pumped up and was told that the tires are in fact not tubeless. 

Can anyone tell me the truth? are they or aren't they tubeless?

Cheers

Tubeless tires normally indicate as such, in the case of maxxis it would have have TR stamped on the side.

https://reviews.mtbr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/maxxis-ikon4-1024x682.jpgit is possible to ride non tubeless tyres tubeless, but even only doing a few rides you should have had more trouble from what I've heard.

Non TR tyres are normally thinner and tend to seep sealant, are hard to seat and quite easy to burp.

Edited by Reme Le Hane

Yours aren’t tubeless out the box. For a tyre to be properly tubeless the sidewalls need to be resistant to air seepage and hold the license from maxxis and mavic (I believe)

no. Your tyres aren’t tubeless, but you can make them so with enough sealant 

Thank for the quick replies.  I should have been more specific I have a Merida Big Nine and the tires look like standard tires that ship with the bike which are Maxxis Ikon 29x2.2" folding.

They will work without tubes but because of the thin sidewalls you won't be able to run low pressure without burping or tyre "folding" in corners. So keep the pressure around 1.8-2bar and you should be fine.

Ran on oem non tubeless Forekaster setup tubeless for over a year. Only issue was losing a bit of pressure from one week to the next