Attempted Robbery at Northern Farm – Sunday 3 November 2019

antonheyman@yahoo.com

On Sunday 3 November 2019 at about 11:30am, I was near the end of my ride whilst riding up Lower Roller Coaster Road/Interval Hill (where there are cows and 2 big sheds on the right hand side) about to turn right onto Venice Canal road (a single road with a single track on the right). As I was near the top of Lower Roller Coaster Road/Interval Hill, a young guy with a white top and hoodie approached me. He removed his hoodie and came towards me with a knife. I managed to turn around and accelerated back down the hill (from where I came) and the young guy started to chase me, but I managed to get away without any harm.

I would like to bring this incident to the attention of the mountain biking community, so that you are all aware of this security risk when riding at Northern Farm by yourself. My suggestion is not to ride by yourself, so as to reduce the chances of this happening to anyone else.

Anton

Well done for posting the warning.

We used to ride NF together but (seperately) all the time, as did lots of other people. Sad to hear about this happening now.

I remember a couple of guys walking back to the car-park after being relieved of their bikes whilst riding a singletrack that ran just inside the fence alongside the N14 once. That part of the route was then closed off. There was also an issue over near the cemetary once I remember - after that several security guards were postd along that side of the property. 

This is very concerning as I'm there on my own all the time. Was this reported to NF?

Anton, glad you're ok. Can you plot on a map / you'r strava ride where exactly this was on the route? Tx

Edited by Uni

Hi folks, thank you for posting this. 

My name is Gavin, I volunteer at the farm along with the rest of the committee which works in service of you the rider and the community. This incident was reported to NF on the 4th of November by security and then by the victim on the 6th of November, since then serious measures have been take to avoid future occurrences. These measures were communicated to the victim on the 7th of November, we are however still awaiting on a reply from the victim. 

Safety is the primary concern at NF, anybody who rides there will see the security positioned along the fence lines across the entire boundary. Unfortunately it appears non of us are immune to crime and this is our second incident in 4 years, in the interim over 200 000 riders have enjoyed the safety of the trails. In the coming weeks you will see several protocol changes at the farm which will bolster our current efforts. 

Thank you all for your support, keep the rubber side down and see you out there.  

Hi folks, thank you for posting this. 

My name is Gavin, I volunteer at the farm along with the rest of the committee which works in service of you the rider and the community......

Thank you all for your support, keep the rubber side down and see you out there.  

Keep up the good work!