Donations, Fund raising etc

Evan Andreou

Every so often a worthy cause comes up : FORA, Sign - up, Bernard Kapp etc. which has hubbers opening their hearts and wallets. This is one of the elements on the Hub which keeps me coming back and has cemented friendships with certain individuals over a period of time.

A while ago a thread was started wrt a hub calendar, this had a fair bit of interest at the time, and kept me amused for a few hours in the car from Bloem to Pta. Admin confirmed that we could use the hub logo etc on said calendar.

I am wondering whether we should consider starting a hub fund to allow us to donate funds if/when available to worthy causes. My thoughts are that a hub calendar could be produced and the proceeds after costs paid into said account. We establish a commitee of hubbers to preside over the funds and allocation thereof.

Any thoughts?

Noble idea..... how do we decide what is & isn't a worthy cause and how much to donate to that cause?... Problem is some causes are more worthy than others..Confused

Noble idea..... how do we decide what is & isn't a worthy cause and how much to donate to that cause?... Problem is some causes are more worthy than others..Confused

Was thinking along the lines of an odd numbered panel.

Causes can be proposed, motivated and decided by majority vote

It's not a bad idea, but I think it would most likely be better to stick to once off donation drives as & when they happen.

Setting up things like this can be a quick path to disagreement.

Rather let people donate to causes that they choose.

Yes, like the Holy Rolling TNT Beer Fund!

Its a very good and a very noble idea, I would have no problem donating to CERTAIN causes, but I will say upfront, there are some I will not participate in.

Its not personal, its just as Oiltrash says "I believe the need in certain areas is greater than others".

So let me put my cards on the table, I will donate to any fund for Cancer patients, any fund for Christian relief, any fund assisting the disabled, any fund assisting abandoned babies, any fund assisting kids (under 18) with habitual drug or alcohol problems, any fund for hearing or sight impaired youngsters, and such types of causes. 

I will not donate to funds aimed at specific issues (eg) a fund aimed to collect donations to send somebody overseas to participate in a sporting event for example, or such types of collections.

I do think it would be a great opportunity to do something for those less fortunate than ourselves.

Not to be a devils advocate.

The minute you start a "fund" for any cause by law you have to register it,  it has to be administered by a recognised financial institution and thats just the start.

Agree that the once off collection for a worthy cause would be the best suggestion. 

Then hubbers can contribute, or not, as they see fit.

The problem with that is that everybody will choose a differant cause and whatever funds are collected will be severely diluted.

In any event, most of us donate to our personal charities as a matter of cause.

The idea (I think Wolfie) was getting at is to do something good as a community, and one or two organisations can benefit substantially.

There is no pressure to donate, its purely voluntary, and as everybody will respect your choice of charity, if you disagree with the cause for whatever personal reason, you can just leave it until a cause comes up which you do agree with.