I have planned a tour in South Africa with a camper. From Jobourg to Cape town. I would like to rent 2 MTBs in Joburg and return them to Cape Town. Do you have any suggestions? do you know any company that offers this service?

Hi Enrico, I trust that you will have a great visit.

I do not know of a rental company that will let you pick up the bikes in Johannesburg and drop them in Cape Town, like the big car rental companies. But if anyone will know, his name is Daniel Dobinson, and his Cape Town based bike rental and touring / guiding company is called iRide Africa. I would email him and ask. He is also sometimes here on the BikeHub and a great and very helpful guy.

https://www.irideafrica.com/

I don't know of such a service in South Africa. Might be cheaper to buy two basic used MTBs (4000 - 5000 ZAR each? Perhaps a JHB-based BikeHub member can assist if you choose such an option?) in Joburg and donate them to a needy school/charity when you reach Cape Town.

Your trip sounds amazing, and I can see why you'd like to take mountain bikes with you!  :thumbup:

Edit: okay, DJR knows much more than I do.  :w00t:

Edited by tinmug

I don't know of such a service in South Africa. Might be cheaper to buy two basic used MTBs (4000 - 5000 ZAR each? Perhaps a JHB-based BikeHub member can assist if you choose such an option?) in Joburg and donate them to a needy school/charity when you reach Cape Town.

Your trip sounds amazing, and I can see why you'd like to take mountain bikes with you!  :thumbup:

Edit: okay, DJR knows much more than I do.  :w00t:

Like Tinmug says, buying could make sense. If your South African stay is longer than a week or two, then buying a good second hand bike in Johannesburg makes sense.

If you buy something nice to ride proper trails with, then there is someone in Cape Town who might be able to assist in selling it again. He is called Avron (I forget his surname now) and his business is called Cycletraders. He has been around for many years and specializes in selling second hand bikes. I have bought and sold bikes through him and he always treated me fairly.

Selling to a regular bike shop is difficult because they are normally not interested in anything other than selling new bikes. Selling through the classifieds is also difficult if you have to catch a plane home.

Donating the bikes make sense if you buy a cheap and cheerful bike that would cost you less than rental anyway. In Cape Town the Pedal Power Association will gladly take a donated bike and make sure that it gets to a deserving person. Contact Rob Vogel, he is their CEO and another BikeHub guy.

https://www.cycle-traders.com/

https://pedalpower.org.za/