Is watt/power based training better than distance based training?

Ha. Indeed.

It's interesting to me when I compare my HR workouts vs my power based workouts that I tend to blow through more calories in my HR based spinning classes than the power based workouts I do on the trainer at home.

It might be the music and that I have a guy barking instructions at me in the spinning studio or it might be that when I'm on the trainer at home I work to the power (i.e. do the minimum)

Riding outside ABSOLUTELY TRUMPS BOTH THO.

I think it's because on a real bike in the real world you aren't just smashing pedals. There are hundreds of micro adjustments every second. I also find it much easier to get into the red when there's an actual hill that I have to ride up and not just a song with 60 beats a minute.

I watch a triathlon guy on youtube called Triathlon Taren and he recommends that you do an outside run and ride at least once a week to keep those control muscles in shape. Interesting.

Of course riding outside in always the best but we are responding 'Silly Billy' here who is on an indoor trainer in the UK with the grotty weather they currently have there.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ja ja, mostly true as long as your sport is cycling only.

I'd be interested to know if you have lets say 3 bikes, road race bike, tri bike and mtb all with different power meters.... how much fun is that to accurately correlate?

Heaven knows how runners, swimmers, canoeists,.... and other non cycling sports manage to train only using HR nowadays.... :whistling:

We are not discussing runners, swimmers or different bikes etc. here as all those other sports use different muscle groups with different exertions at given times.

We are responding to 'Silly Billy' in the UK who is on his indoor trainer asking for advice what might be best for him in that situation.

Live and let live.