Sram Eagle GX 1 x 12 Jockey Wheel Bearings

love2fly

Hi does anyone know what the bearing code for Sram Eagle GX 1 x 12 Jockey Wheels is?

My jockey wheels are pretty much ok but seem to have quite a bit of side play.

I don't want to shell out for new pulleys just yet so just want to swap out bearings if this is possible?

Cheers in advance.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can not replace the bearings. It is molded into the plastic.

I also thought the same. It's only the side plates that come off when disassembling the jockey wheels.

post-75287-0-27055000-1593522833_thumb.jpg

Edited by slickjay007

I also thought the same. It's only the side plates that come off when disassembling the jockey wheels.

I've seen bearings replaced but must admit more than likely Shimano or older Sram 9 and 10 speed. Might give it a try when I have a set of new JW to fit in case I stuff it up...

Not sure how the bearings would be moulded in..........

Edited by love2fly

Bearings are not moulded in. They are pressed in and pressed out.

press in

Press out

press in

press out

The GX might be a plastic bush which means the pulley just runs on the steel bolt that holds the pulley in place. In that case you would have to replace the pulley wheel.

Edited by DieselnDust

Bearings are not moulded in. They are pressed in and pressed out.

press in

Press out

press in

press out

The GX might be a plastic bush which means the pulley just runs on the steel bolt that holds the pulley in place. In that case you would have to replace the pulley wheel.

NX and SX runs on bushes

GX has a bearing. Not properly sealed ... got lots of dust in ...

I was lucky, and could only wash and relube the bearings.

Wondering .... could one upgrade the GX to use the X1 wheels ? Would this be an option for the NX or SX ?

NX and SX runs on bushes

GX has a bearing. Not properly sealed ... got lots of dust in ...

I was lucky, and could only wash and relube the bearings.

Wondering .... could one upgrade the GX to use the X1 wheels ? Would this be an option for the NX or SX ?

The GX pulley wheels are then the same as the XX1 and X01 and they're sealed. they do get lots of dirt in them since the seals are not designed to keep dirt out but the grease in. There is no lanyrinth seal on top of the bearing. This is the same with other brands pulley wheels.

The NX and SX I know are bushed, well not even they're just moulded with a hole the size of the shaft that hlds them in place. Was't sure if the GX used those or the higher end wheels.

You can use the XX1 wheels.in fact, you can fix all the problems with SX and NX by fitting the XX1/XO1/GX jockey pulley cage.

PS: haven't had to do this any derailleur yet as anyone wanting a repair to a NX just upgraded to a GX

I've removed the bearings.....

But for XO1 and XX1 jockey pulley wheels

Look at the pic above. There is a tiny lip that keeps the bearing in

Once ion press them out that lip is damaged. Does not mean you not press a bearing in again but it is never like new.

I wouldn’t attempt pressing out the bearings. The jockey wheels were designed like that for a reason

You press them in from the other side.

The bearings are pressed in at the factory. I've replaced the bearings twice in the 10,000odd km the derailleur has seen. The wheels still run straight and true and the bearings last about 3000-4000km 

The GX pulley wheels are then the same as the XX1 and X01 and they're sealed. they do get lots of dirt in them since the seals are not designed to keep dirt out but the grease in. There is no lanyrinth seal on top of the bearing. This is the same with other brands pulley wheels.

The NX and SX I know are bushed, well not even they're just moulded with a hole the size of the shaft that hlds them in place. Was't sure if the GX used those or the higher end wheels.

You can use the XX1 wheels.in fact, you can fix all the problems with SX and NX by fitting the XX1/XO1/GX jockey pulley cage.

PS: haven't had to do this any derailleur yet as anyone wanting a repair to a NX just upgraded to a GX

Why is it necessary to replace (upgrade) the cage? Not sure if there is an XX1 price associated with it. Is it possible just to do the jockey wheels?