Help please! Silverback Stratos AL3 issues with rear shock bolts and tension

Hi guys, I need some help to figure out if my bike has a problem or whether this is a general issue. Bought my bike 6 months ago. Has less than 200km on the clock. Had to take it for 2 services already to try and get them to fix it. It gets greased every time and by the next ride it starts again. The joints by the rear shock keeps on making horrible squeaky noises and the bolts keep on loosening. So bad that I had to fasten them before and in the middle of a ride a few times already.

Anyone else with a stratos that experienced this?

Thanks for the help!

I don’t know... every time the same issue comes back and I take it to the shop. Bought it at Cycle lab Fourways. Took it back there. They serviced it etc after I told them about the issue specifically. One ride later... same issue. Got so bad it actually just spoiled the whole experience for me. Then took it to Cycles United for a full service. They put grease etc on and one ride later, I have the same issue!

Mellow Velo Cycles United or the one near Eagle Canyon but not CALLED EG?

(Removable) Loctite and all problems solved.

I don’t know... every time the same issue comes back and I take it to the shop. Bought it at Cycle lab Fourways. Took it back there. They serviced it etc after I told them about the issue specifically. One ride later... same issue. Got so bad it actually just spoiled the whole experience for me. Then took it to Cycles United for a full service. They put grease etc on and one ride later, I have the same issue!

Hi guys, I need some help to figure out if my bike has a problem or whether this is a general issue. Bought my bike 6 months ago. Has less than 200km on the clock. Had to take it for 2 services already to try and get them to fix it. It gets greased every time and by the next ride it starts again. The joints by the rear shock keeps on making horrible squeaky noises and the bolts keep on loosening. So bad that I had to fasten them before and in the middle of a ride a few times already.

Thanks for the help!

Eish. I have a Stratos AL1 with about 500km on it. No issues at all.

Thanks for the help!

One thing I can tell you, don't over tighten the bolts, they DO break easily. I broke two.

Contact Silverback. There is a known issue with the spacing of the shock and pivot gaps. If you have some side to side play, there is a spacer that needs to be installed. Some frames need it on both ends of the shock, some on either end, depends.

Also, some blue loctite on the pivot bolt threads is always a good idea, I think the older Silverback Dual sus bikes suffered from loosening pivot bolts too and loctite sorted it out.

The torque spec of the pivots is 4nm, not the 10 as etched on the pivot bolts.

Silverback are extremely helpful and quick to help to boot. Get in touch with them or the Lbs that sold you the bike.

Contact Silverback. There is a known issue with the spacing of the shock and pivot gaps. If you have some side to side play, there is a spacer that needs to be installed. Some frames need it on both ends of the shock, some on either end, depends.

Also, some blue loctite on the pivot bolt threads is always a good idea, I think the older Silverback Dual sus bikes suffered from loosening pivot bolts too and loctite sorted it out.

The torque spec of the pivots is 4nm, not the 10 as etched on the pivot bolts.

Silverback are extremely helpful and quick to help to boot. Get in touch with them or the Lbs that sold you the bike.

Yes, what he said. I forgot about the spacers and the miss print on the bike. It it the 10NM that breaks the bolts.

Yes, what he said. I forgot about the spacers and the miss print on the bike. It it the 10NM that breaks the bolts.

Yeah I have just gone through this little merry go round after breaking a bolt... Silverback went above and beyond to make up for it, picked up hike from my place and sorted it right. Its been brilliant, despite the little oversight.

I had a similar issue with my AL3. Especially after a wet ride or a house down...

Be careful trying to adjust those nuts - I snapped one off trying just that. The squeeks really bugged me, until I used a mates dual sus Spec, and it was also squeeky, be it not as bad.

I started spraying DWF/Q20 in there from time to time, but then started using Q8, which is a silicone base and that seems to work. After every hose down or as soon as I hear it... Some Q8 in those pivots on the frame with a "lappie" to stop the silocon from dripping on the matt black frame.

I haven't messed those bolts again myself - trusting that the mechanics have torqued it correctly etc.

Hope that helps....

• 6 months later...

Old topic but thought I'd post.

Got the Stratos AL1 in November last year. Bike has 500km on it and started creaking insanely at around the 300km mark. So much so that I locked the shock permanently.

Eventually opened the pivots and greased wherever I thought necessary but creaking did not stop. Took the bike to the shop I bought it at - they did a parking lot ride and confirmed the creaking, opened the pivots and applied red rubber grease. It was quiet during the parking lot ride and when compressing the shock.

I reached out to Silverback who promptly responded asking me for the frame serial no and close up photos. Apparently the older versions were released with metal bushings which cause the creaking. This was the case with my bike. They immediately sent me the new IGUS polymer bushings and thrust washers.

My bike is currently at Cadence World having the new bushings installed.

Bottom line - if it creaks, you likely have the metal bushings. Reach out to Silverback and get the new IGUS polymer bushings and thrust washers. That will sort out the problem and apparently increase the longevity of the bushings/pivots.

They have also updated the pivot bolts themselves. The first versions only took 4nm to tighten, and the new ones are hella strong. And much thicker. I bent a couple ofnmy pivots bolts and the replacements are 100%.