Where to find a 2x8 Speed Square Taper Crankset?

MudLark

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so I go down to the bike shop with my Benzomatic. Heat the pedal spindle until the crank spider is hot enough that you can't comfortably hold it with your naked hand. Put the thing in the vice – nothing. Not the slightest bit of movement. Okay, apply the flame directly to the back of the pedal spindle and part of the crank arm. Until the crank arm paint starts discolouring (the paint is more resilient than I thought it would be). Again, absolutely nothing. I've never seen anything like it and neither has the bike mechanic in 27 years of working on bikes. *sigh*

The heat will transfer to the aluminum quickly and expand it faster so it doesn't matter in this case.

also sounds like they used an acetylene touch.

If it was an electric heat gun then point it at the aluminium.

The acetylene touch will just burn the aluminium off ruining the Crank.

The heat will transfer to the aluminum quickly and expand it faster so it doesn't matter in this case.

Ok maybe a stupid question but is the experienced mechanic Turing the correct way left arm is left hand thread

Fair point

Okay, so I go down to the bike shop with my Benzomatic. Heat the pedal spindle until the crank spider is hot enough that you can't comfortably hold it with your naked hand. Put the thing in the vice – nothing. Not the slightest bit of movement. Okay, apply the flame directly to the back of the pedal spindle and part of the crank arm. Until the crank arm paint starts discolouring (the paint is more resilient than I thought it would be). Again, absolutely nothing. I've never seen anything like it and neither has the bike mechanic in 27 years of working on bikes. *sigh*

They are either turning the wrong way or not putting a big enough pipe on the money wrench.

I'm assuming the pedal is stripped down to the shaft and a monkey wrench with pipe is being applied to the shaft?

He's using a glorified blow torch.

Correct, using MAPP gas, which is indeed an acetylene equivalent.

I heated that spindle cherry red. Didn't work. Eventually even played the flame over the back of the spindle and crank arm. I was worried about the aluminium so didnt go completely crazy either. Surprisingly, only a bit of mild paint discolouring. The Shimano product quality surprised me.

So now the thing is in a vice with Spanjaard penetrating fluid on the back. Will leave like that for some time (days, maybe weeks if my patience lasts that long). I don't think it's going to change anything but just maybe. If that doesn't work, I'm going to cut the spindle off, sharpen a few tungsten carbide bits (successively bigger sizes) and put it under the drill press and see if I can get a hole through it. If I can, I'll widen and eventually use a rat tail file to finish the job. No other way it seems.

Ok maybe a stupid question but is the experienced mechanic Turing the correct way left arm is left hand thread

Yes. It's the drive side crank arm.

They are either turning the wrong way or not putting a big enough pipe on the money wrench.

I'm assuming the pedal is stripped down to the shaft and a monkey wrench with pipe is being applied to the shaft?He's using a glorified blow torch.

Nee swaer. The pedal spindle (stripped and ground to create flats either side) is in a great big MacAfric vise. Then two big men grab the spider and chainrings with cloths (one pushing, one pulling) and try to turn it it. Zip, nada, nothing. It's like the thing is welded in. It's totally weird. We got the left side out. And yes, some d@@s fitted the pedals with no lube at all many years (20?) back.

He's using a glorified blow torch.

Yes and no. Enough heat for me to do proper silver soldering.

If the aluminium is discoloured it may no longer be at the same hardness it was before.

I'd say the Crank arm is toast., an engineering workshop trophy to perseverance but defeat.

everywork shop needs such a trophy as a reminder to not waste time or resources and move on LOL :)

If the aluminium is discoloured it may no longer be at the same hardness it was before.

I'd say the Crank arm is toast., an engineering workshop trophy to perseverance but defeat.

everywork shop needs such a trophy as a reminder to not waste time or resources and move on LOL :)

Only a very slight discoloration of the paint on the crank arm. Can't see the aluminium, but you might well be right. I think I'm just going to buy the crank someone linked above. Cheap enough.

Only a very slight discoloration of the paint on the crank arm. Can't see the aluminium, but you might well be right. I think I'm just going to buy the crank someone linked above. Cheap enough.

Keep it as "the one that beat me" but not really. The one that wouldn't come out without drilling it out... 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem