24inch MTB 1x conversion

breaker

Hi guys,didn't want to jack this thread https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/186440-mountain-bike-1x-conversion

But issue is exactly what I would like to do for my kids 24inch bike. Its a 3x9(44-32-22 and 11-32t) and I would like to get ride of the 22 and 44 rings, front derailer and shifter. Its Shimano Alivio in front and SLX at the back.
Is this possible to do, or will I be running into similar issue the op of the link above is running into.

Posts some pics and we'll be able to help you better. But it should be pretty straightforward. 

The important bit for now is how your chain rings are fitted to the crank. Whether they are held in place with rivets instead of bolts.

Probably not worth the cost and effort .... the kids grow out of these bikes in a year .....

That said, the gearing on these are such that they need the small ring to climb steeper hills, then quickly spin out on the flats ......  I  WISHED for a 1x with a mid range front ring when Maritz had his 24''.

Once they go 26" there are a number of 1x options to buy.  :thumbup:

I do get the need to climb and spinning out, however this is the move from a 16inch to a 24inch, so long over due, and wanting to shed some weight and simplify things if its literally just removing those items and maybe replacing some bolts, if not then yep it will stay as is.
post-40613-0-29399700-1597933270_thumb.jpegpost-40613-0-21257200-1597933280_thumb.jpegpost-40613-0-22582800-1597933297_thumb.jpeg

On my daughter's Signal they have put a 1x with 32T at the front and 11-40 (8 spd) at the back which is a great range and was one of the deciding factor

Yeah, look I reckon 32front and 11-32t (9 speed) wont be so bad coming from a single speed 16inch muna. Not as great as the 40t but then again we not going to be climbing Tokai just yet.

It looks pretty straight forward. Remove the big and small ring. You migh have to change the chainring bolts to something smaller. Take off the F/Der and shifter. I would then suggest getting a chain guide to keep the chain on.

I did something similar for both my kids bikes and it made a huge difference to their riding. If you can try and hunt for a 11-34 rear cassette to help on the hills.

My first 1x conversion was from a 3x9 using a 32t front and 11-34 cassette on the rear. No chainline issues and the derailleur was happy to keep the chain tensioned. 

Can you remove the chainrings from that crank? Hard to say from the photos. 

On my daughter's Signal they have put a 1x with 32T at the front and 11-40 (8 spd) at the back which is a great range and was one of the deciding factor

Son has exactly the same. 

Also the trigger shift is far better than the grip shift.

My first 1x conversion was from a 3x9 using a 32t front and 11-34 cassette on the rear. No chainline issues and the derailleur was happy to keep the chain tensioned. 

Can you remove the chainrings from that crank? Hard to say from the photos. 

I dont know, will have to see

I dont know, will have to see

Looks like an FSA crank 3x with chairning bolts.  Remove all 3 chainrings, put a 32T narrow wide chainring where the middle one was. You will probably need single chainring bolts.

Get chainring and bolts from https://www.rapide.co.za/product/rapide-single-chainring-bolt-set-of-5/

You will need to know what the BCD of the middle ring is (might be written on the chainring you take off) else you will have to measure it.

Remove FD, cabling and shifter and should be good to go once crank refitted.