Sunrace groupset

RDL101

Hi hubbers. Does anyone use the Sunrace 12mtb groupset?

I am looking to upgrade my current 1x10 setup to something with more range but budget is a bit tight.

The Sunrace cassette I have seems to be very durable but I am unsure as to the quality of their deraileurs and shifters.

Thank you in advance

So, if money is tight, and you really wanna upgrade, it'll do fine.

The shifter is nice, cause it's a two way downshift trigger, and the sort of semi clutch it has works fine. Shifting isn't totally crisp but it shifts fine.

Only issue is an inherent design flaw in the cage body, limiting the lower derailer movement on the smallest cog. So, on the bike stand it struggles to downshift to the 11t, but out on the road it gets there first time, maybe 4/5 times.

Again, for a budget setup, it works great. It's got its little niggles that, when you're more flush, you might be able to upgrade, but at least you'll have the cassette and chain so can do shifter and derailer a bit later...

Thank you for the replies. Maybe I will just hang on until I can afford something better.

My current setup still works, the gaps between gears are just a bit brutal at times - 11-42 with 32tooth blade up front.

off camber thought ....

Compare the gear ratios if 1x11 and 1x12 options.

Often the differences are mostly in the 3 big gears ... some find this an issue, many dont worry about this, not in the bigger gears ....

And 1x11 typically comes in cheaper ...

Disclaimer .... I have 3 1x11 bikes, and itching to do the same to the old 3x9 commuter .... ????

Edit .... after a finicky 1x12 GX I love the flawless functioning of the 1x11, just more rugged ... and so we said about 1x10 while 1x11 was smoothed out ....

Edited by ChrisF

Thank you for the replies. Maybe I will just hang on until I can afford something better.

My current setup still works, the gaps between gears are just a bit brutal at times - 11-42 with 32tooth blade up front.

I still think the specials at, I think cycle lab for the upgrade kit, is still worth it to get closer ratios and a 50t... It's not bad enough that you should totally avoid, it's just not Sram GX...

I agree with the 1x11 punt. 

It works, it's easy to set up and if you go 34 up front and 11-46 on the rear you will have top end speed and granny gear to cover everything.

I find the jumps at the top of my 1x10 manageable because by the time I'm on the last 2 gears I've slowed down considerably already and it's merely a comfort shift for efficiency.

Speed is already out the window

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if you can buy the 11;13;15 for rear 11-50 12 speed cassete seperatly or do I need to replace whole cassette?

Does anyone know if you can buy the 11;13;15 for rear 11-50 12 speed cassete seperatly or do I need to replace whole cassette?

Some are machined from one piece of material .... so no swopping out rings

Others are rivetted and not meant to be taken appart ....

Not sure which comes as "replaceble segments"

The 11 speed Shimano certainly could be replaced ring by ring .... though I wonder if we can buy the bits ....

Hey man I have a lightly used 11-50 sunrace cassette. Make me a sleezy offer and I'm sure we can make a plan to take it off my hands...

Hey man I have a lightly used 11-50 sunrace cassette. Make me a sleezy offer and I'm sure we can make a plan to take it off my hands...

Sent you a pm

• 5 weeks later...

It works, it's easy to set up and if you go 34 up front and 11-46 on the rear you will have top end speed and granny gear to cover everything.

I find the jumps at the top of my 1x10 manageable because by the time I'm on the last 2 gears I've slowed down considerably already and it's merely a comfort shift for efficiency.

Hi JB, i have this exact set up on my 1 x 11, 34 front, 11-46 at the back, BUT on hectic steep short climbs i cant anymore, i need a 50 at the back. I have the long cage xt railer, some people say it can work, some say i am going to run into issues, i really dont know anymore. I love my 11 speed, just want to jump from a 46 to a 50 at the back, surely it can handle this? I read somewhere on the hub that guys have done this with no issues, but maybe time is needed to really see.

Hi JB, i have this exact set up on my 1 x 11, 34 front, 11-46 at the back, BUT on hectic steep short climbs i cant anymore, i need a 50 at the back. I have the long cage xt railer, some people say it can work, some say i am going to run into issues, i really dont know anymore. I love my 11 speed, just want to jump from a 46 to a 50 at the back, surely it can handle this? I read somewhere on the hub that guys have done this with no issues, but maybe time is needed to really see.

You can always buy one of these.....

https://www.rapide.co.za/product/rapide-derailleur-hanger-extender/

That will sort out any issues if you run into them

Awesome, thanx JB, will test it out, busy changing to 11-50 as we speak. Will see how it runs. Thanx man.

I run a 1x11 11-50 sunrace cassette with an XT8000 rear deraileur/shifter and an absoulte black oval 36T upfront.  So basically stretching the 1x11 as far as it will go and it works great, never really had any gearing issues