Ball bearing headset confusion

Butterbean

Okay, so bear in mind this is a used bike, so it's caused some uncertainty when I've struggled.

You'll see in the pics, the fork crown, a normal rockshox Reba tapered steerer.

You'll notice, what in my option, looks like a sealed bearing crown race.

Then, what looks like a ball bearing crown race.

Now, the bike came with the "sealed" bearing race on the fork. Then the ball bearing race on top, with some seals. One of the seals has been crushed out of shape. Then normal ball bearings in a retainer. Then headset cups, and the upper is a sealed unit if I'm not mistaken.

Now, the fork was a shop upgrade when the bike was bought new as far as I'm aware, however I've struggled with a clink noise from the bike when wheeling it on its rear wheel... I assumed it was janky brake caliper on the front, but the sound really sounds like it comes from the fork.

My suspicion is, there is one too many races, but this is the first ball bearing headset I've worked on, so don't just wanna go deleting one and breaking things.

The "ball" race does measure 39.8 from what I can tell, so it does look like a crown race, but I'd love some educated confirmations before I seat this and hopefully solve my issues...

Thanks!

post-43682-0-97792800-1598985635_thumb.jpg

post-43682-0-30177100-1598985646_thumb.jpg

post-43682-0-91217600-1598985653_thumb.jpg

Have a look at the lower half of the 5th page.

Also a Reba shock.

For this project the parts were, from the bottom up :

The shock has a surface the bearing runs on

A complete bearing

An insert in the neck for the bearing to run on.

At the top the setup repeats .... insert in the neck for the bearing to run on.

The bearing

Another surface, and then the cap and stem spacers.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/181779-mongoose-rebuild-project/page-5

Edited by ChrisF

Okay so I can't find any examples where a crown race, plus a lower bearing race is used on modern enough headsets.

However, the ball bearing race fit is loose. Unless the arrangement of two races is correct, it appears this was a bit of a bodge to account for a loose crown race (some research appears to show this being not too uncommon, especially when moving a race between forks, which was the case here). I am hoping these are available or knocking about a bike shop, but not sure. Don't really want to replace the headset right now, the Mrs isn't going to look too kindly upon more bike spend atm...

Definitely sounds like someone took a short cut. I would put the crown race back for sealed bearing and then just replace the bottom bearing and if need be cup. Should not be expensive lots of shops have a drawer full of odd cups but that's only if you need to replace it.

Yeah, one of those shouldn't be there.

Your assessment is correct. Pick up a spare FSA crown race (assuming it's from the Giant), bin the other 2, fit the new one and you're good to go.

Check the bottom of the bearing as well in case there's any damage, but it should be ok.

Yeah, one of those shouldn't be there.

Your assessment is correct. Pick up a spare FSA crown race (assuming it's from the Giant), bin the other 2, fit the new one and you're good to go.

Check the bottom of the bearing as well in case there's any damage, but it should be ok.

Thanks Droo,

It's for a silverback, replaced the giant long ago...bike came with this arrangement.

Just going to replace the headset with sealed bearings top and bottom.

hmmmmm

I've seen thois type of arrangement on my old Litespeed with a Cane Creek headset. The crown race fits on the fork and then the extra part is a lower bearing dust seal. I have not seen this on a bike later than model year 2012 though once 1.5 lower bearings became more popular. What year model Silverback is this?

Are you sure what you are seeing as a lower bearing race isnt part of a sealed angle bearing that separated? Basically a sealed bearing that came apart.

This would explain the 2 "races" but the setup is correct, the bearing is just ISM.

hmmmmm

I've seen thois type of arrangement on my old Litespeed with a Cane Creek headset. The crown race fits on the fork and then the extra part is a lower bearing dust seal. I have not seen this on a bike later than model year 2012 though once 1.5 lower bearings became more popular. What year model Silverback is this?

It's a 2019 but fork was upgraded off the floor.... So I dunno..

Are you sure what you are seeing as a lower bearing race isnt part of a sealed angle bearing that separated? Basically a sealed bearing that came apart.

This would explain the 2 "races" but the setup is correct, the bearing is just ISM.

Nah it's definitely supposed to be a ball bearing lower, rather than sealed bearing. The retainer is that classic ball bearing style rather than the sandwich crimped type on a sealed bearing.

I reckon the wanted to re use the race off the stock fork. It was a loose fit, so they chucked a sealed bearing crown race to give an interference fit... It's definitely fucky