Norco fluid fs3 2020 or Spez Stumpjumper ST 2019

MajG

Just got back from a 30km loop. I am fortunate to stay just other side the railway line. So I can take advantage of all the disused service roads that Spoornet abandoned in almost a loop back to my place.e8a7981af417aa964f8e56b64591a7b7.jpg

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That bronze copper sure looks classy man, love it.

How you finding the bike, any specific feedback , good or bad?

Find the bike a tad on the heavy side?

Did a 30km ride today, my bike setup isnt 100% so felt abit odd on the bike.

As for the capabilities, those tyres swallow up anything and everything on cecilia forest , through kirstenbosch trail today.

Those small loose baby head sized rocks arent an issue anymore.

But that same tyres have alot of rolling resistance on the road, as expected tho.

Defs will fit narrower rear.

Don't discount a wider tyre with semi slick mid pattern and decent knobs. Something like the Spez Slaughter. We're going into summer, so the trails are dusty, and climbing traction is easy to be had. SS tyres offer a good balance between go fast and go around corners fast when coupled with something meaty up front.

The stock tires (2.6 dhf front and 2.6 forekaster) felt really sticky. I now have a 2.4 ardent front and 2.35 ardent race back which has made a big difference to me.

The bike has given me loads of confidence so much so, I have ran out of talent on numerous occasions :)

The Ardents may have played a role in that talent being exposed. Those aren't exactly known for giving a wide margin of error.

LOTS of confidence, it has been the cause of a few tumbles on my side as well.

I put a 2.5 DHF on the front and a 2.4 Ardent on the rear, made a big difference, now I want to see what lighter wheels will do, going to loan a friend's Carbon wheels and see how that affects the ride.

I also fitted a 203mm rotor in front which makes a big difference on braking performance, and I did the air seal head swap on the fork, also makes a notable change to the bikes handling

Do tell me more about this air seal swop on the fork? ( will google aswell)

Seems all Norco fluid owners are upgrading the rotors, i will have to follow suit even though i havent put them to the full test as yet

Don't discount a wider tyre with semi slick mid pattern and decent knobs. Something like the Spez Slaughter. We're going into summer, so the trails are dusty, and climbing traction is easy to be had. SS tyres offer a good balance between go fast and go around corners fast when coupled with something meaty up front.

The Ardents may have played a role in that talent being exposed. Those aren't exactly known for giving a wide margin of error.

Will give them a review on the options list

You guys don't like fat tires on trail bikes?

Keep them safe I'll buy them off you in the end.

Logistics is the only issue with these OEM tyres as they all steel beads I assume?

fat tyres are awesome, just feel like too much resistance on my way to the trails.

I think the maxxis forkasters are foldable

Seems all Norco fluid owners are upgrading the rotors, i will have to follow suit even though i havent put them to the full test as yet

I am still leaning towards these at the moment.

https://www.evobikes.co.za/product/shimano-br-mt501-disc-brake-set/

The braver I become the more I feel unsure about brakes.

Some sponginess crept back in.

Edited by boxerulez

Not sure if you can do the seal head swap on the Revelation, just Google it to make sure, basically it is just changing the seal head on the air spring shaft, it makes the negative air chamber smaller and helps make the fork more supportive in its mid stroke.

The brake rotor wasn't something that HAD to be changed, but I found one for a really good price

Not sure if you can do the seal head swap on the Revelation, just Google it to make sure, basically it is just changing the seal head on the air spring shaft, it makes the negative air chamber smaller and helps make the fork more supportive in its mid stroke.

The brake rotor wasn't something that HAD to be changed, but I found one for a really good price

What spacer did you use? Assuming your fork also takes a 180mm direct mount?

Can confirm that is correct. Using the same to space my Pike to take a 203mm rotor. I didn’t need the washers though.

I also used a 160 to 180 but had to throw in about 2.5mm of washers.

I dont like washers though.

Will grab the correct adapter if I find it anywhere.

It could be the Hope spacer I used. I run Hope so I figured I’d spend the almighty R450 on a single mount adapter.

Worked out in the end.

It's a 160-180 spacer with 1.5mm washers

And boxerulez, should start a Norco thread, if there isnt one in existence.

Go to place for things Norco, upgrades etc

• 3 weeks later...

And boxerulez, should start a Norco thread, if there isnt one in existence.

Go to place for things Norco, upgrades etc

I ended up biting the bullet and getting the BR-MT501 front and rears from LBS and now I am confident on this bike.   Can control it much better lock up when need be, endo.

Things are well in my world.

Only thing I need some advise on from anyone, the FS3 stock chainring needs to go, I need more legs on this bike, so I am hoping someone could advise me what oval I need to get that will fit on this bike with as little money spent as possible, running out of gears is my only gripe left with this bike, so

I am hoping a bigger oval chainring will increase my legs and the ovalness will keep my clearance where it is now?

Nice upgrade on that brakes, were you having issues with brake fade or just not fast enough braking?

FS3 is 1 x 11 right?

Will the oval really help much? Or is it just hype?