How to silence bottles and bottle cages

lechatnoir

I have an annoying bottle cage on my road bike. Even smoothish roads, a 1/4 full to full bottle sounds like I'm stirring a bucket of rusty spanners. It's the cage on the down-tube and the same cage on the seat-tube is quiet.

I've considered putting some grip-tape on the cage to hold the bottle tighter, but would also like to not have holes in my bottles.

I could change the cage or the bottles, but if there's some sage advice out there, I'm all ears

What material is your bottle cage?  I remember long time ago my allu cages often made rattle noises (and they never lasted long).  For long now I use carbon cages and never had a problem.

sounds like I'm stirring a bucket of rusty spanners. 

Grip tape or tape around the bottle wont solve that sound.

It sounds like you have a loose bottle cage (or loose internal cable routing that you think is coming from the cage area)

to hold the bottle tighter, 

I could change the cage 

Good old steel (or aluminium for the weight weenies) and just bend it so it holds em tighter. Ah, I miss the bad old days...

What material is your bottle cage?  I remember long time ago my allu cages often made rattle noises (and they never lasted long).  For long now I use carbon cages and never had a problem.

cage is carbon. It's definitely the bottle in the cage and not a loose cage as if I twist it a bit, the sound is gone, but returns a few bumps later

I once had an aluminium/metal cage that had unknowingly broken (couldn't see the break) and when the trail got rowdy the cage made a terrible noise.

If you have your bike tool kit and spares in a bottle (some riders do) cut up an old bike inner tube and use a roughly 10/12cm section and tie it around your bottle including the bottle cage binding them together. No more noise!

I just put some rubber bands around my bottles, stop the rattles and keep the bottle in the cage on rough terain