Tinnitus

Warthog

........... I know I have dip at 4k and also 800hz. Which is right in the range at which the human voice sits.............

I knew an old guy in the little town where I am from who was quite a character. He slowly lost his hearing and for at least the last decade of his life he was completely deaf, but that did not stop him from having the most fabulous conversations. He simply dictated the topic and then chatted away, loudly. On the receiving end it quickly became clear that whatever you said in reply made not one little bit of difference, because he carried on with his part regardless. A bit like a bulldozer that you cannot control from anywhere but the drivers seat - and he was strapped in that. He did carry a little notebook and pencil in his pocket for the rare occasion that he was really interested in your opinion. He would then hand it to you to write down what he could not hear. Luckily he was a pretty smart guy with good stuff to say, so I always enjoyed it, even though the conversation was really one sided with me mostly laughing, smiling , nodding and shaking my head. He once explained that communicating with his wife was only a problem while he could still hear something and that it improved when he went completely deaf.

Edited by DJR

Yeah been around noisy things my whole life, planes, bikes and i have it as well but as Bb says i dont notice unless i think about it.

Made me think though, how bad can it get...? Is there a way to measure how bad you have it?

Doesnt bother me at all, but i do wonder if it keeps getting worse then what

Mine has definitely gotten worse with the hormone treatment, so wondering the same thing - does it eventually just get so loud that you can't hear anything else?

Also, I was never really near loud machines/sound... so mine is not result of damage.

Most of my life I have been around music an motorcycles. Either playing it or sound work or motorcycles sans earplugs over long distances. Helmet tech being nowhere near what it is today.

End result hearing loss. Recently got some aids to help cut through noise. Don’t need to use me all the time but they do make a difference.

The wearing of masks has made me realise that I was subconsciously lip reading without realising it.

Tinnitus. No known cure. U just learn to live with it. Avoid this an make sensible choices while u can.

Thanks for the information - mine doesn't seem to have resulted in a loss of hearing but just irritation; particularly when it is quiet around me - cicada to far off diesel engine / train.

I've been seeing ads for these Calmers for a while now and seriously considered getting myself a pair. I don't have tinnitus but certain high frequencies make me wince. Seems like they have been getting some unexpected positive feedback from tinnitus sufferers. Might be worth a try, especially at the price.

Check it out here.

https://www.flareaudio.com/pages/calmer-life?gclid=CjwKCAiA-f78BRBbEiwATKRRBCG7fh_4Q6NOW-6f8lRnt8_X3LNmiRobn_wC_OJWO20gCQBVpJQGdhoCCQIQAvD_BwE

I've been seeing ads for these Calmers for a while now and seriously considered getting myself a pair. I don't have tinnitus but certain high frequencies make me wince. Seems like they have been getting some unexpected positive feedback from tinnitus sufferers. Might be worth a try, especially at the price.

Check it out here.

https://www.flareaudio.com/pages/calmer-life?gclid=CjwKCAiA-f78BRBbEiwATKRRBCG7fh_4Q6NOW-6f8lRnt8_X3LNmiRobn_wC_OJWO20gCQBVpJQGdhoCCQIQAvD_BwE

post-57300-0-28702700-1604317118_thumb.jpg

Have them (wearing them as I type this). No difference to my tinnitus.

Edited by Warthog

Other than tinnitus do they make any perceivable difference to how things sound?

No, can't say that it does for me.

I have lived with it most of my adult life . I have the high pitch shushing sound ( like the sound you hear at night from the mole crickets ) Im a extravert and talk a lot but when in a crowd of people and other noise i only hear the loudest noise ( music , tools , motors , coffee machines or a  loud voice ) i then shut down and dont participate in conversation because i might not hear it correctly and give a dumb answer . Live with  it its bearable . I also lip read , so masks have made it worse for me  to.