RockShox Dynamic Seal Grease vs SRAM Butter

DR ◣◢

Interesting one. 

According to https://www.sram.com/globalassets/document-hierarchy/service-manuals/rockshox/front-suspension/gen.0000000005952-2020-fs-oil-air-coil-token-specification-english-rev-a.pdf I need to use the Dynamic Seal Grease in the Pike Ultimate.

The Reba for example requires SRAM butter. Lyrik, SID, Pike, and Yari uses Dynamic Seal Grease. 

Now I have both and the dynamic grease feels a lot thicker than the butter which is interesting. 

Just an interesting observation, the tub says "for rear shock service" on it. 

I'm following the Rockshox instructions 100% so it makes no difference to me. 

Why the difference? 

Isn't seal grease just glorified and more expensive red rubber grease? 

Don't know to be honest. I just don't feel comfortable putting anything in a fork that I spend R20k on. 

The dynamic seal grease is used together with their 15W50 air can lube, and the combination makes for much lower breakaway - this is more noticeable on the shocks because of the larger surface area involved.

RS initially started using the combo on shocks because of this, but have since 2018 carried it over to forks as well, though I'm not sure why it's not used on the older forks too.

The dynamic seal grease is used together with their 15W50 air can lube, and the combination makes for much lower breakaway - this is more noticeable on the shocks because of the larger surface area involved.

RS initially started using the combo on shocks because of this, but have since 2018 carried it over to forks as well, though I'm not sure why it's not used on the older forks too.

Thanks so much. Explains it perfectly. 

I did my 50 hour lowers service on Friday and used the SRAM butter as I always do. Will use the dynamic seal grease on the next one. 

I must say, the fork feels 100x better than before. Amazing what a bit of fresh oil and clean foam rings will do for a fork.

If I recall the Dynamic seal grease has teflon in it and the soap i smore compatible with the lube oil in the air can so it doesn't stiffen up over time. Its supposed to remain fluid longer. Without specs sheets I cant really tell if its BS or not

Thanks so much. Explains it perfectly. 

I did my 50 hour lowers service on Friday and used the SRAM butter as I always do. Will use the dynamic seal grease on the next one. 

I must say, the fork feels 100x better than before. Amazing what a bit of fresh oil and clean foam rings will do for a fork.

It's a Pity that the New Fork Feeling doesn't Last for Long