Please help me identify this snake at Big Red Barn

Steady Spin

9 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Snakes hibernate during winter right ? Its getting pretty cold in the early mornings here 

South African snakes don't hibernate, they only become  a lot less active.
Chances are that you will still come across snakes in winter.

They brumate - https://www.africansnakebiteinstitute.com/articles/snakes-and-hibernation/

(Not trying to pass myself as an expert, but when we moved to the Lowveld I had to quickly learn a lot about snakes, as we regularly have snakes in/outside our yard.)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing as there are a few snake stories here, here is mine.

I did 36One in November. towards the end I know it was in between the last 2 water points. I was tired and sort of just rolling down one of the (very few) downhills (those who did 36One will know what the last 80km are like). Out of the corner of my eye I spotted something. The most amazing copper/gold shimmer probably 1.5m long. When I got close I realized what it was and  he was in the strike position. I shrieked like a 12 year old girl at a Justin Bieber concert, luckily no one was there to hear me and I managed to pass him on the right. 

So now here is the strange bit, I'm convinced it was Jesus and the Holy Spirit and the angels warning me. I was watching every little stick and rock after that and as true as bob, about 45min later I spotted another one also about the same size but this one was slithering across the road right in my path. I slammed on the brakes, locked up the back wheel and stopped about 3m away from him. He stopped, we checked each other out and then  he carried on into the grass and was gone. I was wondering what would've happened if I rode over him. 

It was such a weird experience, I asked the guys ahead oh me if they saw anything. No one saw any snakes. The lady at the water table said it was probably a cobra of some sort. 

8 hours ago, RearWheelDrive said:

Seeing as there are a few snake stories here, here is mine.

I did 36One in November. towards the end I know it was in between the last 2 water points. I was tired and sort of just rolling down one of the (very few) downhills (those who did 36One will know what the last 80km are like). Out of the corner of my eye I spotted something. The most amazing copper/gold shimmer probably 1.5m long. When I got close I realized what it was and  he was in the strike position. I shrieked like a 12 year old girl at a Justin Bieber concert, luckily no one was there to hear me and I managed to pass him on the right. 

So now here is the strange bit, I'm convinced it was Jesus and the Holy Spirit and the angels warning me. I was watching every little stick and rock after that and as true as bob, about 45min later I spotted another one also about the same size but this one was slithering across the road right in my path. I slammed on the brakes, locked up the back wheel and stopped about 3m away from him. He stopped, we checked each other out and then  he carried on into the grass and was gone. I was wondering what would've happened if I rode over him. 

It was such a weird experience, I asked the guys ahead oh me if they saw anything. No one saw any snakes. The lady at the water table said it was probably a cobra of some sort. 

Another place you will never see me set my foot. Never a ****