Feeding on Indoor Trainer

Bira

By the sound of it the OP is less concerned about recovery or nutrition for energy and more looking for something which tastes better than water while on the IDT.

In that case just find something with zero to very low calories to drink while on the IDT. Not sure if you still find Sweeto, but that could work as you require very little to get a flavourful diluted drink, and I think it contains very little calories.

Everyone will have their opinions but I can guarantee you, most important of all is having and maintaining a healthy diet consistently. Then you will rarely ever require any supplements.

Edited by Wimmas

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Won't you eat a meal later? You don't need to replace calories as you burn them. 

Look, I ran for 3 hours today in the mountains. Not a walk, but run. Nearly 1000m ascent, avg 7min/km (no jeep track and decent rocky trails). It's an effort especially as I surfed this morning for 2 hours and on the back end of a 19 hour exercise week (not intentional).

I drank 600ml of water.

Whatever calories I burned surfing and running I put back eating a post surf croissant, breakfast and Sunday supper.

When I race expedition races I eat as I move because sometimes I move for 40 hours without stopping and go 3 days without a proper meal. I also smash a bottle of Ensure early on a 50km trail run and one per 24 hours on a 100/200 mile running race. But the reality in this instance is that one does not need to eat or take in protein while doing an interval session on the IDT. 

One can eat and drink sufficiently through the day. That's my point.

But if you WANT to, then by all means. But using words like 'need' and 'should' indicates it as a necessity 

Can you do a hard 3 hours on water alone? Absolutely.

Would full liver + muscle glycogen storage suffice to fuel this activity? Probably not.

Did you start your activity with full glycogen stores? Definitely not.

Did you break down lean muscle to use a fuel source? Almost certainly.

Fueling your activities properly means that you can go harder, and recover faster so that you can go hard again sooner. It's a running tally. Your body doesn't do Calories consumed minus Calories burned only at the end of the day.

Won't you eat a meal later? You don't need to replace calories as you burn them.

Look, I ran for 3 hours today in the mountains. Not a walk, but run. Nearly 1000m ascent, avg 7min/km (no jeep track and decent rocky trails). It's an effort especially as I surfed this morning for 2 hours and on the back end of a 19 hour exercise week (not intentional).

I drank 600ml of water.

Whatever calories I burned surfing and running I put back eating a post surf croissant, breakfast and Sunday supper.

When I race expedition races I eat as I move because sometimes I move for 40 hours without stopping and go 3 days without a proper meal. I also smash a bottle of Ensure early on a 50km trail run and one per 24 hours on a 100/200 mile running race. But the reality in this instance is that one does not need to eat or take in protein while doing an interval session on the IDT.

One can eat and drink sufficiently through the day. That's my point.

But if you WANT to, then by all means. But using words like 'need' and 'should' indicates it as a necessity

Dude, you’re a bit of an animal with your mileage and exploits [emoji1]

Probably not a good benchmark for most of us.

IMO of course [emoji52]

Edited by The Ghost

Can you do a hard 3 hours on water alone? Absolutely.

Would full liver + muscle glycogen storage suffice to fuel this activity? Probably not.

Did you start your activity with full glycogen stores? Definitely not.

Did you break down lean muscle to use a fuel source? Almost certainly.

Fueling your activities properly means that you can go harder, and recover faster so that you can go hard again sooner. It's a running tally. Your body doesn't do Calories consumed minus Calories burned only at the end of the day.

This, and just because we can go further on less doesn’t mean it’s the best way to do it.