Hammerhead Cycling Computer

ricgerard

Hi. Thought I'd share my process of ordering online if anyone else is considering.

Decided to bite the bullet and order a pair after not getting response from Chris Willemse regarding another brand device that was advertised online. I knew there would be a customs charge was not sure what to expect. 
Hammerhead had a promo running with 50% off on a heart rate monitor when purchasing a cycling computer. The 50% saving basically went to the shipping fees.

I ordered the devices on 28 June at 20:21pm. The next day, 29 July, email received stating that the items were ready for shipping. The items ship separately. The computer ships from China with FedEx, whereas the heart rate monitor ships from the US with UPS.
Received a call on Saturday 30 July from one of the FedEx employees here in SA to confirm ID No. Yesterday 1 August received an email from FedEx with the customs bill of R1200 for the cycling computer.

Currently according to tracking the cycling computer is in transit in Singapore with an expected arrival of 6 August. The heart rate monitor is still in the US with no delivery date estimation.

keen to hear your views on the unit once you have some time on it. if not for continuous replacement, I'll never buy another Garmin.#endless%^%$#

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

keen to hear your views on the unit once you have some time on it. if not for continuous replacement, I'll never buy another Garmin.#endless%^%$#

I'll keep you posted on my experience. I'm not an expert on cycling computers. Only been using my watch and phone to keep track of my data.

• 2 weeks later...

Received the Karoo 2 this morning. Was hoping to go for a test ride today but unfortunately not likely. The heart rate monitor has still not left the warehouse. Last update on the courier tracking website was 30 July 2021.

• 2 weeks later...

FInally managed to take the unit for a test ride. Was a short ride but the setup was easy. Data seems to be accurate and easy to edit fields on the device. Unfortunately I'm still struggling to get notifications on the device. Could be compatibility issues with my phone. I still need to test out the strava live segments hopefully tommorow. Battery does seem to drain much quicker than other devices that I've read up on but for my riding it's suitable.  Even on lower brightness I could still see clearly.

I'm still waiting on my heart rate monitor. I contacted Hammerhead after 2 weeks with no update on the UPS tracking site. They responded saying they will contact the courier. The following day the courier tracking page was updated. Seems the package is now in RSA somewhere.

Been struggling with app notifications on the device and suspected my Huawei P30 lite to be the issue. Paired the device to friend's' Iphone and Samsung A31 and notifications worked perfectly. So I think I have the perfect excuse to buy a new phone now. The battery is probably the big negative for me. I've noticed it drain quite quickly even with just setting up profiles.

Funny enough I also had a issue with Hauwei p30 pro and the Power2max power meter app. I couldn't update the power meters firmware. They said it has compatibility issues with hauwei handsets. Ended up having to use an older version of the app. Perhaps these companies should be hiring Chinese programmers.