Riding in Stellenbosch - Somerset West Area

jackievs

13 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Coastal only gets fun after Gordon's Bay. You deal with a lot of traffic and bad road surfaces and things. If you are willing to go all the way to Rooi Els it's worth it.

Thank you ... yes GB to Rooi  Els is so beautiful .. I rode from Hermanus to the Strand in October last year ... it is one of the most scenic routes I have ever done.. but the road does become narrow through some sections.. I am tempted to go from GB to Rooi Els and back...!

5 minutes ago, jackievs said:

Thank you ... yes GB to Rooi  Els is so beautiful .. I rode from Hermanus to the Strand in October last year ... it is one of the most scenic routes I have ever done.. but the road does become narrow through some sections.. I am tempted to go from GB to Rooi Els and back...!

Check the wind forecasts carefully. You can have 5km/h in Stellies and it's blowing 30+ along the coast. ????

27 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

That way also gets windy.

If you want to stay mostly flat you could do Polkadraai Zevenwacht Bottelary R304 Slent Vryguns R44. Not sure how long that would be. Once you are out on the R304 there are multiple crossovers to the R44 available to suit your distance needs.

Thank you, this is a good option!

10 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Check the wind forecasts carefully. You can have 5km/h in Stellies and it's blowing 30+ along the coast. ????

Oh yes I will, the wind is not my friend when I am on the bike!

On 10/22/2021 at 8:19 AM, bleedToWin said:

That way also gets windy.

If you want to stay mostly flat you could do Polkadraai Zevenwacht Bottelary R304 Slent Vryguns R44. Not sure how long that would be. Once you are out on the R304 there are multiple crossovers to the R44 available to suit your distance needs.

A good option, thank you!

• 1 year later...

Hi there. I will be visiting Somerset West in a couple of weeks and I will be bringing my road bike along too. I'm keen to get in a few rides and was wondering what the riding situation is like there at the moment. Is it advisable to ride alone? And which routes are feasible? In the past I had used the route through Gordons Bay towards Rooi Els, but I hear it could be a bit sketchy now.

Of course, I would also be happy to join any locals on their rides if the opportunity comes up 😀.

Cheers!