Road routes around Harties

The Ouzo

Looks like I'll be spending a week pretty close to Peacan wood next month.

The place we are staying advertise MTB trails, but as I'm a roadie I'm thinking of taking my road bike with.

What are the roads like to ride there alone, probably will be early morning kind of thing. Looks like if I go around the dam I can string together a 40 or 50km ride.

Alternatively I'll rent a mtb from the resort and just ride the trails. But ride I must, for my own sanity and to keep the peace.

Hi, I would suggest you go across the road from Pecanwood to the bike shop called Cycle2U. The owner of the shop will be able to help you with routes as he rides in the area himself. 

9 hours ago, ouzo said:

Looks like I'll be spending a week pretty close to Peacan wood next month.

The place we are staying advertise MTB trails, but as I'm a roadie I'm thinking of taking my road bike with.

What are the roads like to ride there alone, probably will be early morning kind of thing. Looks like if I go around the dam I can string together a 40 or 50km ride.

Alternatively I'll rent a mtb from the resort and just ride the trails. But ride I must, for my own sanity and to keep the peace.

How far are you looking to cycle?

Depeds which way you go.

The piece to Vangalen is not great and narrow but do able.

Heading to pelindaba side around has a nasty 8km bit . if your are carfull doable but be aware traffic is heavy and road is horrid. But once you turn left up saartjies nek = fun.

on the 5th they doing the Ian Audax 200km and the rout normal goes past pieces there.

If MTB vangaalen is awesome and there are many places.

Also a nice 27km one way if you do from peacon wood on the 300 road and back past upside down house. rolling hills nice climbs

As said earlier, the roads in the Harties area are doable but caution is required. If the mining trucks are running then treat them with caution as they create an extra risk.

Having said that, there's some good road riding.

The route round the dam is okay but I've only done it at the weekend when it's likely quieter.

The loop around the west end of the dam by crossing the causeway is quieter but only around 15-20km.

The Harties valley road R560 is nice (a gradual climb away from the dam) but a little narrow and busy during the week with trucks and farm traffic. But you can bag a nice 90km from Pecanwood if you continue on the R560 and complete the block with the R24 and R96.

My favourite would be the Hartebeeshoek Rd (the satellite road) which is shown as the R3/R400 on google maps. Its junction is about 4km from PWood back towards Broederstroom. It's very pretty, can be quiet during the week depending on mining trucks and about 25km long and starts with a false flat of several km and then takes in several (5?) climbs over ridges. If you do an out and back you get good value net climbing on the way out and a fast return. There are no shops on this road to my knowledge and it feels quite isolated, which can be rewarding in itself.

Lastly as you're in the area and if you like climbing, then perhaps ride/drive to the Hekpoort Pass. It's only 35km from PWood but you can park at the gas station at the bottom and try an ascent? R563 from the Hekpoort village running SE. A couple of kms of gentle climbing and then from the Hekpoort river bridge, it's a couple of kms of steeper climbing with a nasty LH bend and then a drag to the false summit. It makes for a fast descent but watch the rumble strips.

I can't help you with MTB!

Edited by Fat Boab

oh to add. on weekedns in the early morning 6-8 and late afternoon 14-18 and lunch time12-14 it does get busy with traffic as people head out to return or head out to lunch.

For MTB go do breedst neck. up and over. park the same place as hekpoort but go the other way down the dirt road.

I drive the piece of Pelindaba road (R104) every day.

The piece between the Lanseria road (R512) and The traffic light at Pelindaba gate 3 I will not recommend at any time.

The road has lots of potholes and 2 truck cannot pass each other without having wheels off of the road. 

DO NOT RISK YOUR LIFE ON THIS ROAD EVER.

People from NW also drive this part as if its a quiet farm road.

Rather go over the bridge, over the dam wall, through harties (the main road is very busy and also not wide, so ride through the suburbs), then you can to Saartjies nek and also head out on the Hennops road towards Sandton. Or as suggested do the Satellite road or you can even ride towards Lanseria and the Cradle, as they have widened this road a small bit.

this is what I'm worried about, there is a soft shoulder, ok for gravel or mtb, not so lekker for road bike.

This is the road to and from the resort

image.png.173b8d1d8731303a97d51fb8311db7b1.png

That road is fairly quiet and only carries local traffic most of the time.

It does have some farming trucks on it, but not a lot. Have a rear light on and you should be fine. The worst I have had on that stretch are people coming from the front overtaking each other while you are "in their way"

did a loop around the area on street view, I dont feel comfortable on those narrow roads. Will leave the road bike at home and just enjoy whatever trails they have available.

im assuming magalie park? from the pic.

I have done a few long aduax rides there and never had any issues but if you feel unsafe go with your gut. plenty of MTB trails. especially vangaalen, breeds etc. Also sure if you check on facebook you will find local guys. also the canals rides on the other side (r2ts routes etc. and those are popular

Tour de dam

Vangaalen

the downhill at the cable car. been told this is awesome

https://www.bikemap.net/en/l/1015621/

Edited by Spy007

I agree with that section from Lanseria road to Pelindaba, very narrow, I've been cycling over 35 years and that road made me super scared. Lots of ore carriers, last time I rode there was over Xmas period so there were less vehicles but still too many. I you do go that road keep checking behind you and the just pull onto the dirt and stop, one you are past it's all good again. The view at top of Saartjies overlooking Harties is iconic.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm revisiting this.

Just phoned the resort, you can only used their bikes for 1 hour at a time and then you have to return them. meh, 

My thoughts, since my MTB is a 26" piece of rubbish I'll take my road bike and the wife and kids MTBikes. That way I can head out early morning for a few hours of riding and if the family wants to ride the trails I can get one of the resort bikes and ride with them.

Or 

Leave the road bike, take the MTB and the families bikes and have a low mileage week.

Either way I'm going to now have to take the trailer.

My choice would be Hartebeeshoek road as No. 1 and then the valley road through Skeerpoort/Hekpoort as second.  I must say that one Sunday morning at around 05.30am my son and I rode up to Hartebeeshoek. Was great until some Porsche club arrived to do their 1/4 mile time trials.  No road is wide enough to accommodate a bicycle and 200kmh Porsche!