Looking for Safe & Easy Routes - Simonstown, Fish Hoek Area

MG22

I will be holidaying in the Simonstown area in CT in Jan.

I am looking for a safe route (road or off road) to do between 20 km to 30 km easy riding on a daily basis.

Do you have any advice or recommendations ? My main requirement would be road safety.

Are there any nice routes through quiet suburbs (avoiding busy main roads etc) ?

Your feedback will be appreciated!

29 minutes ago, MG22 said:

I will be holidaying in the Simonstown area in CT in Jan.

I am looking for a safe route (road or off road) to do between 20 km to 30 km easy riding on a daily basis.

Do you have any advice or recommendations ? My main requirement would be road safety.

Are there any nice routes through quiet suburbs (avoiding busy main roads etc) ?

Your feedback will be appreciated!

Just ride road loops on main road from Simonstown to cape point and over red hill. You can mix it up by going clockwise/Anti clockwise from day to day.

The only really dodgy part of the peninsula is the Kommetjie/Slangkop area which you will avoid by just looping the deep south.

I live in Muizenberg and loop that way alone all the time. You could also head over black hill, up chappies to hout bay and back relatively safely. Simonstown/Fish hoek is awesome as you can mostly avoid the busy section of main road between fish hoek and Muizenberg

It's a great spot for road cycling. Just keep an eye on the wind forecasts like a hawk. The South Easter is serious in Jan.

The South loops are a mixture of Main Road (Smitswinkel), Plateau Road, Scarborough, Red Hill:

• Simon's Town, Cape Point gate, Plateau Road, Red Hill and back is 30 kms with good climbing - or start with Red Hill if you want to get the climbing done first. Worth it for the views of False Bay, especially early morning.
  • A 40 km out-and-back is Main Road up Smitswinkel to Cape Point gate, Plateau Road, Scarborough (coffee) and back the same way.
  • If you get a rare windless day, also consider Cape Point Reserve and ride down to the light house. It's a hefty entry fee for visitors but well worth it for the experience. You can easily do 20km-30km with the loops in the reserve alone.
  • If you want to go further, you can also push through Misty Cliffs from Scarborough but once you leave the last beach behind (Witsand) you're entering an area around Ocean View that has a history of attacks.

These roads:

Screenshot 2021-12-31 at 10.12.47.png

Going North: the Black Hill, Sun Valley, Chappies, Hout Bay, Suikerbossie, Camps Bay, Sea Point, Waterfront strip is a very popular out-and-back route with cyclists. A lot more traffic than the Deep South but there is generally space and consideration.

If you're only looking for 20-30km then consider parking at the Noordhoek Farm Village (a good spot for lunch too) and go over Chappies and Suikerbossie and back. It's mostly climbing but an iconic route.

Thank you so much for such helpful feedback. Jewbacca & Nick. !!

Now I am really looking forward to doing some of your recommended routes. Let us just hope that the weather (incl. the wind) will play along.

Regards

MG