Avalanche Mte (Ebike)

Dicky DQ

Howzit, 
My wife got one of the above and for what it costs and says on the box it is super value. I will just upgrade the fork to an air fork some time.
The issue is where does one get a spare battery at a reasonable cost?

It gives a range of between 75 and 85 km but we need to go further so I would like to get a second battery. Where to find?

PS so nice to see it does what it says on the box, and having a hub driven motor reduces the group-set ware so win win.

On 1/7/2022 at 1:59 PM, TDFN said:

Howzit, 
My wife got one of the above and for what it costs and says on the box it is super value. I will just upgrade the fork to an air fork some time.
The issue is where does one get a spare battery at a reasonable cost?

It gives a range of between 75 and 85 km but we need to go further so I would like to get a second battery. Where to find?

PS so nice to see it does what it says on the box, and having a hub driven motor reduces the group-set ware so win win.

I see Olympic Cycles have the battery replacement listed on their site, but as out of stock. 

Please report back with your impressions of the bike, my dad is looking at getting one, and as you say, it's a very attractive option. 

Got my wife one, the commuter model (rigid), done about 1200km so far and rides like a dream with no issues at all. Should get about 80/90km on a charge depending on the assistance. Really affordable and reliable hub motor e/bikes. Can recommend! 

My wife (about 60kg) as done about 650km to date on a mix of Tar, fire-road and one single track (neverender at Jonkers)

Impressions so far:

1. Saddle is too soft and apparently not good for the soft bits. We replaced this and tings are now much better.
2. Charging seems to take way longer than indicated, but overnight is good for 70 to 85 km based on assist level.

3. Fork spring is to heavy duty for light weight so not much good on single track (we never expected it to be very good)
4. The max speed seems to stop on a flat road at about 35 kph even when set to 50. I suspect the motor might be out of puff above 35 ish (350W Motor)

5. Think we may need to retention the rear spokes as the seem to ping under max load on a smooth road.

All in all it does what it says on the tin as long as the expectation levels are correct. I feel it may bee priced too dear, but it is the cheapest we could find.
All said and done, my wife can now ride with me and she enjoys it so a win. Now just to get another battery for longer rides as 85 to 110 km are what we typically do. But they seem to be stupid expensive. Expecting to be between R 6,700 and R 8,500 if you can get.

5 minutes ago, TDFN said:

My wife (about 60kg) as done about 650km to date on a mix of Tar, fire-road and one single track (neverender at Jonkers)

Impressions so far:

1. Saddle is too soft and apparently not good for the soft bits. We replaced this and tings are now much better.
2. Charging seems to take way longer than indicated, but overnight is good for 70 to 85 km based on assist level.

3. Fork spring is to heavy duty for light weight so not much good on single track (we never expected it to be very good)
4. The max speed seems to stop on a flat road at about 35 kph even when set to 50. I suspect the motor might be out of puff above 35 ish (350W Motor)

5. Think we may need to retention the rear spokes as the seem to ping under max load on a smooth road.

All in all it does what it says on the tin as long as the expectation levels are correct. I feel it may bee priced too dear, but it is the cheapest we could find.
All said and done, my wife can now ride with me and she enjoys it so a win. Now just to get another battery for longer rides as 85 to 110 km are what we typically do. But they seem to be stupid expensive. Expecting to be between R 6,700 and R 8,500 if you can get.

Have a look at the charger.

The Giant has a 300W charger, and the battery reaches 80% in less than 2 hours.  Then the charge rate slows down !!!! Takes another 2 to 3 hours before the battery is full.

The Darrvin comes with a 100 to 150W charger.  The first stage takes twice as long ... followed by the 2 to 3 hours to get it full .... easily over 6 hours to fill that battery.

Okay to charge the battery over.night .... but it takes forever when you wait to start charging the second battery .... 🤪  I have started looking for a second charger 🤦‍♂️

12 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Have a look at the charger.

The Giant has a 300W charger, and the battery reaches 80% in less than 2 hours.  Then the charge rate slows down !!!! Takes another 2 to 3 hours before the battery is full.

The Darrvin comes with a 100 to 150W charger.  The first stage takes twice as long ... followed by the 2 to 3 hours to get it full .... easily over 6 hours to fill that battery.

Okay to charge the battery over.night .... but it takes forever when you wait to start charging the second battery .... 🤪  I have started looking for a second charger 🤦‍♂️

The charger on the Avalanch Mte is only a 84W, so a long time it will take. Damn what I would not give to have a 300W charger. 

Worth noting that common wisdom suggests these batteries should be stored at 30 to 70% state of charge.

After a long ride I wait a few a few hours, then charge the batteries until about 50%.

Before the next ride it is fully charged ... as this is towards the end of the bulk charge, the remainder takes longggg, irrespective of the charger capacity.

Actually started charging the first battery now.  Expect to switch over and start charging the second battery after supper ....

Then again, not as bad as it may sound .... computer, lights, cellphone (pre.paid used when cycling), GoPro all gets charged with the first battery 🤦‍♂️. Just switch over to the second battery when I fill the bottles tonight.

On 1/10/2022 at 4:31 PM, ChrisF said:

Worth noting that common wisdom suggests these batteries should be stored at 30 to 70% state of charge.

After a long ride I wait a few a few hours, then charge the batteries until about 50%.

Before the next ride it is fully charged ... as this is towards the end of the bulk charge, the remainder takes longggg, irrespective of the charger capacity.

What is considered storage? We are trying to ride every night or 2nd night. Is that too long a period?

5 minutes ago, TDFN said:

What is considered storage? We are trying to ride every night or 2nd night. Is that too long a period?

Aaahhhh .... now THAT is the question .... :P

Lot's of episodes on EMBN about battery care .... no hard an fast answer on what is considered storage.  Reading between the lines it may be anything longer than a week or month ....

So I fully charge the night before a ride.  THIS is where the fun starts when I decide late on a long ride and need to charge both batteries.

Every so often the batteries are charged but something pops up and I dont go riding the next morning ..... I just go riding a few days later.  Longest have been about a week from charging to the ride.  Thus far no issues

PS - if ever you do get more definitive answer on this one, please share with us.

37 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

PS - if ever you do get more definitive answer on this one, please share with us.

So the info re storage % has some merits, but not so much in the cycling world if used once or twice a week. It is primarily a function of the decay over time from a start voltage point.

So:

To lose the smallest amount of power while in storage, charge your battery to 40%, unplug it and store it in a temperature-controlled location. https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Battery_Power/Lithium_Ion_Batteries#Storage_temperature_and_charge

Storage Temperature Charged to 40% – capacity loss after a year Charged to 100% – capacity loss after a year
0 °C  2% 6%
25 °C 4% 20%
40 °C  15% 35%
60 °C  25% 40%

0 degrees centigrade and 40% battery charge loses the least amount of power—just 2%. The reason is that constant temperature is your best friend.  Do not store in refrigerator as that is moist and BAD for battery storage. 

So in our real world for cycling % Charge is not an issue.

• 1 year later...

Good morning all. Does anyone know if you will be able to open the battery and replace the cells should they go bad? 

I am looking to buy a second hand bicycle, but first want to know if I will be able te replace cells etc before buying second hand. 

Most Li-Ion packs are 18650 cells, so any decent battery repacker should be able to do this for you.

That said, it'll be difficult to confirm without opening one up.

Suddenly the reason for riding an Amish bike looks more and more like the better option, and also, I no longer stress the price points. E-bikes look to be a hassle to keep going?

5 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Suddenly the reason for riding an Amish bike looks more and more like the better option, and also, I no longer stress the price points. E-bikes look to be a hassle to keep going?

Not my experience…. 5 or 6 years with a Chilled Squirrel eBike conversion….

1. I always charge the battery to full, despite valid, alternative theories…

2. I drain/ride the battery quite low, usually around 10% - 20%…

3. 6 years later, zero problems with battery, ZERO discernible decline in battery OUTPUT ( 500w battery, 500w motor…)

4. Have zero to think about! Charge, ride, re- charge. Less hassle than an electric toothbrush!
Chris

20230604_111258.jpeg

I  have also  had zero problems/issues with my ebike .In particular I am impressed with the longevity of the battery.My friends have the same experience.Not sure where he got his info from that ebikes are a hassle to keep them going.