How long has a shimano xtr 11 speed mtb chain lasted??

Matt006

18 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Moral of the story: if you only get 1500km on a chain then either someone is taking the p!ss or you're doing something wrong. And I know that SRAM tend to give less than Shimano but still, if you have an XTR chain (which is the best in the range) and you only get 1500 before you have to replace it then honestly, think about it for a second, someone is making a pretty packet off your blood sweat and gears 😁

What is the solution then? 

Chains on both bikes are lubed every third or so ride. Both chains are run through a Park Cyclone chain cleaner using Prepsol or Ecologic to clean before rinsing and drying in the sun.  

One uses Bat lube and the other Muc Off C3 Dry or Squirt Chain Wax for wetter rides  

On the one we replaced the SRAM NX chain at around 1600km

One the other a KMC entry level chain lasted 600km and then the XTR at 2000km  

Checked with Park Tool CC-3.2 and replaced when the 0.5% side drops in

What am I doing wrong that I don’t get 5000km from a chain? Maybe it’s a 12spd thing?

Shimano builds their drive train to a low friction philosophy so there’s a lot of sloppy fit like the parts are pre worn . Think of it is a run in engine delivering mire power than a brand new one. The brand new one will give you higher mileage than the run in engine.

Shimano chains out of the box exhibit around 0.1 to 0.2% wear. That’s because the rollers are smaller than in SRAM Eagle chains. The caveat to this lower friction out of the box is much shorter life.

my last XX1 chain gave me 5400km that’s 700 on less than the previous chain and the chain before that was 6000km. My cassette is 4 years old and it still has life but I feel the performance is down so it’s being relegated to winter drivetrain use and a new one fitted. 
that’s around 18000 Km for a XO1 Eagle cassette and 3 XX1 chains. 
I’ve heard of many people having to replace the 12speed Shimano chain after around 1500 to 2000km or use and the cassette after 4 chains or sooner if the chain is used beyond 0.5% wear. So this seems to be normal for their system. 

9 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Shimano builds their drive train to a low friction philosophy so there’s a lot of sloppy fit like the parts are pre worn . Think of it is a run in engine delivering mire power than a brand new one. The brand new one will give you higher mileage than the run in engine.

Shimano chains out of the box exhibit around 0.1 to 0.2% wear. That’s because the rollers are smaller than in SRAM Eagle chains. The caveat to this lower friction out of the box is much shorter life.

my last XX1 chain gave me 5400km that’s 700 on less than the previous chain and the chain before that was 6000km. My cassette is 4 years old and it still has life but I feel the performance is down so it’s being relegated to winter drivetrain use and a new one fitted. 
that’s around 18000 Km for a XO1 Eagle cassette and 3 XX1 chains. 
I’ve heard of many people having to replace the 12speed Shimano chain after around 1500 to 2000km or use and the cassette after 4 chains or sooner if the chain is used beyond 0.5% wear. So this seems to be normal for their system. 

Confirmed as I thought. 

Under controlled test the XTR reported 4000km but I can’t see that happening in real world scenarios. 

I’m loving my ShiRAmanoM frankenbike drivetrain and I should see the best of both worlds.