[Event] Lourensford Classic

Events Bot

Event Name: Lourensford Classic
When: 02/04/2022
Where: Lourensford Wine Estate, Erinvale Golf Estate, Cape Town, Western Cape
Category: Mountain Bike

The Lourensford Classic is back! After an absence of almost four years, one of the oldest and most iconic MTB Challenges in the Western Cape is back. Lourensford offers the most scenic and interesting trail combinations. It is ideally located between Helderberg and the Hottentots Holland mountains with views of False Bay and Stellenbosch mountains and vineyards.

Event Dates; 2 April 2022

Start times;   Classic at 7h30, Max at 7h45, Short at 8h00

Registration;  Early registration from 16h00 – 18h00 on 1 April at the Clay Pigeon Hub at Lourensford and Late registration from 6h00 – 7h00 on 2 April at the start venue in Lourensford

Start & Finish venue; The parking area in Lourensford, opposite the Polo Field.

Three entry options are offered;

•     The Lourensford Classic, 54km with 1400m climbing; R650 per person;

•     The Lourensford Maxi, 33km with 750m climbing; R550 per person

•     The Lourensford Light, 15km and 270m climbing. R350 per person

Go to Event Page.

2 hours ago, Skubarra said:

A bit more pricey than what I would have liked but very tempting, loved this race back in the old days.

"A bit"

🤨

15 minutes ago, babse said:

"A bit"

🤨

I'll sleep on it and decide closer to the time. End March/early April not that many options if you want to do a mtb event.

Edited by Skubarra

12 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

I'll sleep on it and decide closer to the time. End March/early April not that many options if you want to do a mtb event.

WP/SA cup xco in stellies 🙊

• 1 month later...

Excellent route! So good to be back on Lourensford (what took them so long?). Route was well marked, river crossing were all rideable, single track was in excellent condition. I think it was well worth the price.

Only downsides for me was the burger queue - looked like you would be stuck in it for an hour. Also the parking, I tried to pay for mine but it said "ticket invalid" only to say I owe R10 at the exit. Considering the entry fee I think parking should be included. 

IMG_20220402_072024.jpg.e92387351bec51524b6007508f484a64.jpgIMG_20220402_080448.jpg.313aa34ce2e35845357446dde62c83ed.jpgIMG_20220402_092807.jpg.8702c556567ddcfdaf0ed83d457bc761.jpgIMG_20220402_093925.jpg.09ee2ee04d349c1b8b01acc475733e4c.jpg

I had an entry but couldn’t go this morning, I think it will still haunt me for a couple of days 😂

I enjoyed the day out. Route was good if XCM is your thing, with a few charming singletrack sections. The wind made some of the early climbs hard, and I had to dab to prevend getting blown over higher up, close to the 53/35 route split.

Can't believe I missed this. Was my start to mtb back in the day when tubed 26er sr suntour coilsprung hardtails with V-brakes were more than enough. The simple good old days. 

Screenshot_20220403_074540.jpg

The contour paths only look smooth from far away, I think this would be a tough ride to do on a hardtail or gravel bike.

Edited by Christie

2 hours ago, Christie said:

The contour paths only look smooth from far away, I think this would be a tough ride to do on a hardtail or gravel bike.

I ride everything on a hardtail, this was smooth sailing all the way for me. That said I have no idea what pressure my tyres are on, last time they saw a pump was before Argus and then they went up to 3.5 bar. Suffice to say they are nowhere near that pressure now 😁

Did not see a single gravel bike so I think sensibility prevailed. 

I had a fun morning. Last minute entry that someone else paid for got me into the race. We did the 35km which was a great tour of the Lourensford fire roads. I couldn't help feel somewhat cheated riding past what liked like amazing single track! I think the organisers could have done a far better job of being a bit more creative with the route planning. I would have been proper bummed if I'd spent R800 for that ride... (Entry plus diesel). Burger was amazing and we had no queue for this. Also wasn't charged for parking, would have been a bummer though had this been the case. In retrospect, I should have turned right at the 50km turn off!