JACKAL DASH 22

OVERDRIVE

I enjoyed the race. Although in B group on the 65km, someone in the front stopped the bunch on the single track saying we had taken a wrong turn. This caused major congestion and turns out we were on the right path. Maybe dodgy tactics from the group leaders??? Otherwise really enjoyed it. 
Anyone know when results are ready?

Not yet will check-happened to us on th 45 after the waterpoint full blast into the waterpoint. Met the 25s and actually think they could have given the a different route back, was a bit risky with all those passes for them. 

Morning 

I found a Garmin Fenix 5 along the 45km jackal dash race route yesterday. I want to return it to the owner. There are no personal details on the watch unfortunately. Posting this here so the person can hopefully see it. 

Please contact me. 

Josh Davimes 

10 minutes ago, Josh Davimes said:

Morning 

I found a Garmin Fenix 5 along the 45km jackal dash race route yesterday. I want to return it to the owner. There are no personal details on the watch unfortunately. Posting this here so the person can hopefully see it. 

Please contact me. 

Josh Davimes 

Good on you Josh. The organizers should have everyones number on file maybe drop them a mail? northernfarmmtb@gmail.com

2 hours ago, Mattman said:

I enjoyed the race. Although in B group on the 65km, someone in the front stopped the bunch on the single track saying we had taken a wrong turn. This caused major congestion and turns out we were on the right path. Maybe dodgy tactics from the group leaders??? Otherwise really enjoyed it. 
Anyone know when results are ready?

Was also in B, also got caught in that confusion, and 1 or 2 other bottle necks, quite sad really, people spending boat loads of money on bikes that they cant ride over the smallest of obstacles 🤨

I am by no means a fit or very skilled rider, but sheesh...

Otherwise I really enjoyed the route, nice flowing tracks, never ridden at NF before, so was a nice change, I definitely need to work on fitness though, that last 10km broke me.

3 hours ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Was also in B, also got caught in that confusion, and 1 or 2 other bottle necks, quite sad really, people spending boat loads of money on bikes that they cant ride over the smallest of obstacles 🤨

I am by no means a fit or very skilled rider, but sheesh...

Otherwise I really enjoyed the route, nice flowing tracks, never ridden at NF before, so was a nice change, I definitely need to work on fitness though, that last 10km broke me.

You know what @Chadvdw67 lets chat about that. The line. 

On the one hand car and bike dealers are there to make money. If you want a S-Works Epic or an M4 and have the money, theirs is not the issue if you can barely ride or drive they are there for themselves. They take no responsibility once you leave. 

Do you think there should be some sort of restraint when selling? Like, your client cane barely ride, and everyone from the rear is shouting CAN WE PASS UP FRONT?? and the passes become harder the smaller the single track, when I turned to check for the third man in our group I saw someone falling over. 

Hey, nobody cares but I would rather sell a cheaper bike for more profit and then hope they come back to get another and make more money thatn have them buy one and never come back. Or, is the plan to make it all now so nobody cares if they come back or not 🤣

Edited by OVERDRIVE

26 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

On the one hand car and bike dealers are there to make money. If you want a S-Works Epic or an M4 and have the money, theirs is not the issue if you can barely ride or drive they are there for themselves. They take no responsibility once you leave. 

Do you think there should be some sort of restraint when selling? Like, your client cane barely ride, and everyone from the rear is shouting CAN WE PASS UP FRONT?? and the passes become harder the smaller the single track, when I turned to check for the third man in our group I saw someone falling over. 

Hey, nobody cares but I would rather sell a cheaper bike for more profit and then hope they come back to get another and make more money thatn have them buy one and never come back. Or, is the plan to make it all now so nobody cares if they come back or not 🤣

I have absolutely no issue with the dealer selling a new rider the highest spec most expensive bike money can buy, but if the person has that kind of money, please, PLEASE, get some skills training, they would enjoy the bike SO much more if they had just a little bit of skills training...

Having said that, one thing that was very nice yesterday, if you came up on a slower rider, they promptly let a person through when it was safe to do so, and likewise, faster riders were not overly aggressive or shouting at slower riders to move and waited patiently till a person could move over, it was the first time I have experienced behavior like that in a "race"

38 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Agree. I have a bike rhat riders can send 20m gaps on but I can’t. Does that mean I’m a poser for spending the money on it?

Sheesh 😂

1 minute ago, Chadvdw67 said:

I have absolutely no issue with the dealer selling a new rider the highest spec most expensive bike money can buy, but if the person has that kind of money, please, PLEASE, get some skills training, they would enjoy the bike SO much more if they had just a little bit of skills training...

Having said that, one thing that was very nice yesterday, if you came up on a slower rider, they promptly let a person through when it was safe to do so, and likewise, faster riders were not overly aggressive or shouting at slower riders to move and waited patiently till a person could move over, it was the first time I have experienced behavior like that in a "race"

Maybe the peace of northern farms...

See the source image

6 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Agree. I have a bike rhat riders can send 20m gaps on but I can’t. Does that mean I’m a poser for spending the money on it?

Sheesh 😂

That is not at all what I am saying, I also have a bike that FAR exceeds my abilities, but I dont have to get off my bike to push it over a small mound of dirt or a couple roots crossing the trail

1 minute ago, Chadvdw67 said:

That is not at all what I am saying, I also have a bike that FAR exceeds my abilities, but I dont have to get off my bike to push it over a small mound of dirt or a couple roots crossing the trail

Agree. That is frustrating. A little skills training goes a long way. 

16 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

When doing new trails I often walk sections on the first run .... 

During an event I like to follow other riders. .... watch their lines ... thus knowing it is safe.

If the trail is open and visible this obviously is a non issue.

Then again, I get the heck out the way when others catch up to me.

Was a nice race. The organisation at the start when the boards were handed out was absolute chaos. Trail markings also left something to be desired. I was in the A bunch and we also had a whole group of people turning back on the trail saying we had taken a wrong turn. A bit muddy, some parts of the trails a bit unkempt, but overall a great day out with competitive but friendly riders. 

14 minutes ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

Was a nice race. The organisation at the start when the boards were handed out was absolute chaos. Trail markings also left something to be desired. I was in the A bunch and we also had a whole group of people turning back on the trail saying we had taken a wrong turn. A bit muddy, some parts of the trails a bit unkempt, but overall a great day out with competitive but friendly riders. 

Wonder why there was no pre-race pickup at Melo Vello? Would have thinned the queues out a bit. 

I hate badly marked trails.