Wines2Whales

dharipal1@gmail.com

Hi Everyone

A colleague asked me to ride Wines2Whales with him and I said no. So he tells me there is enough time to train for it.

Before I give him my second response, my question would be:

- I am terrible at climbing so how difficult are the climbs? What would be the best place in JHB / PTA to simulate a similar climb experience?

- On the flats, at a nice pace I can do a speed of 25 to 30km per hour.

- Best or Tough track that I have ridden was Hennops - 40KM with 700m of climbing.

- Is the race very technical and which other track in JHB / PTA that is a technical track that you could ride?

- Is it doable for a first timer if you follow the training plan of 7-12 hours per week?

Thanks

D

I can't provide you with comparisons to JHB rides, but with lots of time on hand, I would say that you could easily do it. 

From recollection, it is just over 60km per day with about 1300m of climbing. Very doable, particularly if you do it for fun and just take it steady.

I would not consider it particularly technical. There are mostly smooth single track with quite a few switchbacks. but no big drops or knarly sections.

Edited by Mike Mac
addition

Do it ... awesome trails and experience.

In my view the main difference between climbing in GT vs WC is the length of the climbs (which in turns comes with insanely long descent to us GP-ers).

One of the best places to get some hill climbing in would be Breedtsnek as it is long and pretty rutted.  W2W is not very technical and a couple of loops around places like Cradle Moon, Avianto and Kings Kloof will give you plenty practice

Also agree with all comments that 7-12h training per week is plenty ...... and indeed probably double of what most of the field does

On 4/13/2022 at 1:48 PM, wolver said:

7-12 hours a week is probably more training than 75% does!😂

Collegue used to do the W2W with his old varsity buddies, all working in different provinces.

It was their annual get together party ride.

Most of them did hardly any training at all .... then again, being young and having a good fitness base helped.