Hatchback bike carrier/transport solution

Fossilfoxx

Good day fellow cyclists. Newbie here, 1st post.

I've done some reading through the threads, can't seem to find the answer, so here goes.

I recently got a Medium 29er, kid's got a Makro bike-40cm (sacrilege, I know), and the wife seems to be getting interested in joining us 2 when we go around the block.

I'd like to get the bikes onto the car (Focus ST) when we go away for a weekend or so.

Not too keen on a roof rack, and the car has no option for fitting a towbar, so I guess I'm having to look at one that mounts.

Any suggestions on one that would be able to hold 2 MTB's, and the laaitie's bike would be appreciated.

Thank you muchly.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Fossilfoxx said:

Good day fellow cyclists. Newbie here, 1st post.

I've done some reading through the threads, can't seem to find the answer, so here goes.

I recently got a Medium 29er, kid's got a Makro bike-40cm (sacrilege, I know), and the wife seems to be getting interested in joining us 2 when we go around the block.

I'd like to get the bikes onto the car (Focus ST) when we go away for a weekend or so.

Not too keen on a roof rack, and the car has no option for fitting a towbar, so I guess I'm having to look at one that mounts.

Any suggestions on one that would be able to hold 2 MTB's, and the laaitie's bike would be appreciated.

Thank you muchly.

What year model ST?

1 minute ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Def roof rack. 😆

Ford_2017_FOCUS_RS_TeamSky_09.jpg.2c139dae31c9ef8ea5db533c16c067d5.jpgFord_2017_FOCUS_RS_TeamSky_12.jpg.a48b07a1cbe59d7ff6f51b79c922d9e2.jpgFord_2017_FOCUS_RS_TeamSky_10.jpg.9f381b8a1120b01985c56b68add184ff.jpgFord_2017_FOCUS_RS_TeamSky_01.jpg.9e63afa4e3f0b43aa8744c3c05b71bec.jpgFord_2017_FOCUS_RS_TeamSky_02.jpg.da95df2f3f3646f2081703785abc8fe6.jpgFord_2017_FOCUS_RS_TeamSky_07.jpg.4fd94f9e632944b520083aee2d8a6915.jpgDSC_0245.JPG.bfce67d086d177290ead863ced4a3122.JPGdsc_00051.webp.04b3fa93e2fcd83b88b16c2b6b0989b5.webp19062009069.jpg.567ce26cc7e52e652dd816a747a78079.jpg

First buy is a lot of money.  Next car you only need to buy the foot.packs.

Currently have two friends with hang on racks ... uhm, no thank you ...

1 minute ago, ChrisF said:

https://solomonscycles.co.za/products/buzzrack-beetle-3-bike/?dTribesID=1gpkaHc5hCxGz1dYzluHVQl3ywMDJrXp|adtribes|52296&utm_source=Google Shopping&utm_campaign=Google Merch &utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=52296

This surely I would never buy 🏃‍♂️

12 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Thank you. Please may I ask:

'First buy is a lot of money'. Please may you elaborate?

Also, the hang on racks your friends have-are the bikes flailing around/not secure? 

I've been seeing reviews from folks elsewhere who have them, seems the 'fits 3 bikes claim is not so accurate'.

2 minutes ago, Fossilfoxx said:

Thank you. Please may I ask:

'First buy is a lot of money'. Please may you elaborate?

Also, the hang on racks your friends have-are the bikes flailing around/not secure? 

I've been seeing reviews from folks elsewhere who have them, seems the 'fits 3 bikes claim is not so accurate'.

Thule roof racks consist of three main components:

1. Foot pack .. these four units clamp to the car.

2. Two off cross bars.  Typically you would get the aero bats.

3. The bike racks, sounds like you are looking at three racks.

The cross bars and bike racks is a once off purchase, and you transfer it to your next vehicle.

Only the footpacks are bought to fit the new car ... few years back this was about R1 500.  No idea what it costs now.

The issues I see with my friend's clip on racks:

. Bikes are close to the car, and I have seen the pedals knock against the bumper or boot ...

. The bikes must be tied down well to prevent it swinging.

. As soon as you add a 2nd bike it becomes tricky to protect the bikes from each other ... 

. Three bikes could be the best part of 40kg hanging on the hatch ....

All that said ... at least 1 in 4 cars at the trailhead has clip on bike racks.

9 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Thule roof racks consist of three main components:

1. Foot pack .. these four units clamp to the car.

2. Two off cross bars.  Typically you would get the aero bats.

3. The bike racks, sounds like you are looking at three racks.

The cross bars and bike racks is a once off purchase, and you transfer it to your next vehicle.

Only the footpacks are bought to fit the new car ... few years back this was about R1 500.  No idea what it costs now.

The issues I see with my friend's clip on racks:

. Bikes are close to the car, and I have seen the pedals knock against the bumper or boot ...

. The bikes must be tied down well to prevent it swinging.

. As soon as you add a 2nd bike it becomes tricky to protect the bikes from each other ... 

. Three bikes could be the best part of 40kg hanging on the hatch ....

All that said ... at least 1 in 4 cars at the trailhead has clip on bike racks.

Thank you muchly. I'd not thought about the weight on the hatch. Guess I should research the roof racks some more then. Two concerns I have with them are crosswinds, and bridges. Do you think maybe I'm overthinking on these?

Also, loading and offloading seems to me like a bit of a mission?

1 minute ago, Fossilfoxx said:

Thank you muchly. I'd not thought about the weight on the hatch. Guess I should research the roof racks some more then. Two concerns I have with them are crosswinds, and bridges. Do you think maybe I'm overthinking on these?

Also, loading and offloading seems to me like a bit of a mission?

I attached the garage remote to the Thule key ... pull the car out, load the bikes, lock the racks ... PUTT THE KEY (AND REMOTE) IN THE CUBBY !!   No chance of driving into the garage with the bikes on the roof ....

I did not have any issues with wind .... okay, in a very strong head wind I slowed a bit to salvage some fuel economy.  On that topic, with two bikes on the roof I had the same fuel economy as with bike on a towbar rack behind the car.  

17 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I attached the garage remote to the Thule key ... pull the car out, load the bikes, lock the racks ... PUTT THE KEY (AND REMOTE) IN THE CUBBY !!   No chance of driving into the garage with the bikes on the roof ....

I did not have any issues with wind .... okay, in a very strong head wind I slowed a bit to salvage some fuel economy.  On that topic, with two bikes on the roof I had the same fuel economy as with bike on a towbar rack behind the car.  

I use this, others have different types deals but @ChrisFis spot on. That floppy metal thing is unsafe and you need to be a physics expert to figure it out and it looks ugly especially for an ST! Can’t be pimping like that then ending up with a shoprite trolley on the rear window. 

image.gif.99f32dc0ad0afbf4e452509bd406ab12.gif

A1C1566E-AD7E-4700-8175-FBE2B3548838.jpeg

1 hour ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Can’t be pimping like that then ending up with a shoprite trolley on the rear window. 

This. 🤣🤣🤣. But yes, well noted. Thank you.

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Thanks @ChrisF.

I used to have one of those hanging clip on racks and I despised it. Sure it worked well hauling the bike around town for whatever the reason is, but I had constant issues with it driving on the highway going on holidays (usually a 5hr trip on the N2). And this was only one mtb on a 'three' bike carrier.

No matter how many additional straps I used (through the wheels, frame and rack) the bike just wouldn't stay completely put. Die fiets wapper nogsteeds in die wind op 120km/hr man. One time the rubber holding strap tore and the bike came loose as well.

Yes I fixed it properly each time. Yes I still had anxiety looking in the rear view seeing the bike dangling somewhat when riding on the highway.

Pulled the trigger and got a roofrack setup - definitely worth the money, no issues anymore. Blood pressure down to normal.