Hatchback bike carrier/transport solution

Fossilfoxx

1 minute ago, PhilipV said:

No sarcasm. But Thanks, I just realised that I'm injecting my own bias here.

To me a bakkie is useless without a canopy, but that's because I need to put half a bar worth of stock in the back in the week, followed by my bicycle after work. So I need a lot of space, and enough security to prevent a skollie from grabbing things off the back. 

For a farmer, a canopy is what he put's on his wife's bakkie, if she isn't driving a Fortuner. 

Jip, each of us have different "needs" ...

I need at least three seats and space for two bikes ...

The 1,5m lenght of most double cab bakkies is too short to fit two bikes inside (without some overlapping) ... I need it inside the canopy, locked away.  Hanging the wheels over the tailgate wont work for my work days.

The likes of a Caddy is simply the most practical solution .... but I wont buy another DSG vehicle.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Jip, each of us have different "needs" ...

I need at least three seats and space for two bikes ...

The 1,5m lenght of most double cab bakkies is too short to fit two bikes inside (without some overlapping) ... I need it inside the canopy, locked away.  Hanging the wheels over the tailgate wont work for my work days.

The likes of a Caddy is simply the most practical solution .... but I wont buy another DSG vehicle.

I was going to get a LWB Transporter but could not find one that suited my very limited budget.

I needed something that could EASILY take four bikes and also have enough seating room for the family. I had a look at the LWB Caddy but even then fitting 4 bikes easily and have the extra row of seats is not possible without a hell of a lot of faffing.

3 minutes ago, Rolf Hansen said:

I was going to get a LWB Transporter but could not find one that suited my very limited budget.

I needed something that could EASILY take four bikes and also have enough seating room for the family. I had a look at the LWB Caddy but even then fitting 4 bikes easily and have the extra row of seats is not possible without a hell of a lot of faffing.

You are exactly correct. I can easily get one full sus inside the lwb caddy, but even a second bike makes things tricky.

4 would be an absolute mission.

23 minutes ago, Rolf Hansen said:

Jip

The game changes when you need that 3rd or 4th seat ....