Shimano SM SH56 multi release cleats vs SH 51

Remington

I am curious  why are the Shimano SH56 multi release cleats not for sale in South Africa.

The only ones that is stocked is the SH51. My understanding is that the multi release is much easier to.use for riders new to cleats. Could anyone shed light on this 

Thanks

Edited by Phoebe1

They are available but not very popular. In theory they're great for beginners but a much better idea is to set the release spring tension to minimum and use the single release cleats straight from the start. 

A cleat that releases in multiple directions when you're riding bumpy ground is dangerous in my opinion. Too many unintended clip outs.

Min spring tension is really low on mtb SPD pedals so you should be get your foot out super easy.

Boggles the mind ... When I started riding I got my boet's brother in law to bring me a few sets from the States. The big advantage was that you could even 'pull' your foot out of necessary.

@Eldronin those days I didn't do much 'bumpy' stuff and as soon as I was confident with them I went to normal cleats

2 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Boggles the mind ... When I started riding I got my boet's brother in law to bring me a few sets from the States. The big advantage was that you could even 'pull' your foot out of necessary.

@Eldronin those days I didn't do much 'bumpy' stuff and as soon as I was confident with them I went to normal cleats

You're a braver man than I riding those cleats :-)

I'm 99.99% sure Coolheat have them. I'm guessing most shops just don't stock them. I still have both sets I got as "starter stock" in my store 4 years ago! 

25 minutes ago, Eldron said:

You're a braver man than I riding those cleats 🙂

I'm 99.99% sure Coolheat have them. I'm guessing most shops just don't stock them. I still have both sets I got as "starter stock" in my store 4 years ago! 

There's a fine line between bravery and stupidity 😎

Maybe okay on a road / commuter setup, but awful off-road.   Also thought they would be amazing, but one ride down Tokai and I swapped back to the normal SH 51.