Specialized epic vs camber vs stumpjumper

jacquesdiener

Hi

Looking at buying 2nd hand bike.

What are the differences on these bikes?
I won't be doing downhill races etc, as I'm a social rider just doing daily rides and getting into the 3 day events?
Budget about 40k for full suspension.
Have Scott scale(hardtail) at the moment.

Edited by jacquesdiener
Add info

Specialized epic                 Cross Country/Racing

vs camber                           Cross Country/Racing (discontinued)

vs stumpjumper                 Trails/Enduro

Horses for Courses

Casual rider = Stumpjumper. The ST version with 120mm travel is more than enough for most trails out in SA. 

You don't mention where you are based though. This will influence decisions a bit as well. 

2 hours ago, jacquesdiener said:

Hi

Looking at buying 2nd hand bike.

What are the differences on these bikes?
I won't be doing downhill races etc, as I'm a social rider just doing daily rides and getting into the 3 day events?
Budget about 40k for full suspension.
Have Scott spark at the moment. 

The epic Evo replaced the camber with 120mm travel for an already excellent chassis on the 100mm travel epic.

if you plan on doing stage races, you won’t go wrong with either, but the trend is to go 120mm travel.

had a second hand epic ( rear brain) lovely and climbs like a dream - at nearly 50years old ( me not bike) was feeling abused on the rough downs so sold and bought a second hand camber ( Fox rear) and much more plush on the downs, and easier on the body for up and down Table mountain riding. not sure it climbs as well as my old epic. have not seen any second hand Epic Evo's ( camber replacement) for around 40K though. 

I am fortunate to have owned a Camber (the model with RS1 fork) which was replaced with the Stumpjumper ST and now the Epic Evo.

I absolutely loved my Camber and thought the new Stumpjumper ST would pretty much be a direct replacment. Although the Stumpjumper was definitely a good bike (especially in technical terrain) it felt a bit too “lazy” in comparison to the Camber….I’m definitely not a race snake but in Pretoria one needs a bike which can perform on the flats which doesn’t really suit the Stumpjumper (even the ST version)

Just over a year ago I was fortunate to move onto the latest Epic Evo model and immediately it felt like I had my Camber back…..in fact my new bike felt even more racey than the Camber but was still good enough to handle the rough and technical sections with ease.

In my mind the Epic Evo is definitely the best of the 3 models and I have definitely not been disappointed by this bike….bike is definitely better than the rider.

One thing to bear in mind however (and without trying to sound pretentious) is that I was fortunate enough to have owned the SWorks version of all 3 bikes so I’m not really sure how the other models in each range might compare…..with the same geometry as the SWorks models I would think my experience of the 3 bikes would still be relevant regardless of the model.

I have a newer gen Epic Evo. I love it, but I dont think you will get the latest model within your budget. You can however look for a 2018-2020 model. It will suit your needs as well....

You say you already have a Scott Spark? If you still have it, why not do some upgrades on it? It is still a great bike

9 hours ago, RallyRob said:

I am fortunate to have owned a Camber (the model with RS1 fork) which was replaced with the Stumpjumper ST and now the Epic Evo.

I absolutely loved my Camber and thought the new Stumpjumper ST would pretty much be a direct replacment. Although the Stumpjumper was definitely a good bike (especially in technical terrain) it felt a bit too “lazy” in comparison to the Camber….I’m definitely not a race snake but in Pretoria one needs a bike which can perform on the flats which doesn’t really suit the Stumpjumper (even the ST version)

Just over a year ago I was fortunate to move onto the latest Epic Evo model and immediately it felt like I had my Camber back…..in fact my new bike felt even more racey than the Camber but was still good enough to handle the rough and technical sections with ease.

In my mind the Epic Evo is definitely the best of the 3 models and I have definitely not been disappointed by this bike….bike is definitely better than the rider.

One thing to bear in mind however (and without trying to sound pretentious) is that I was fortunate enough to have owned the SWorks version of all 3 bikes so I’m not really sure how the other models in each range might compare…..with the same geometry as the SWorks models I would think my experience of the 3 bikes would still be relevant regardless of the model.

Thank you all for the input.

9 hours ago, figjam_sa said:

I have a newer gen Epic Evo. I love it, but I dont think you will get the latest model within your budget. You can however look for a 2018-2020 model. It will suit your needs as well....

You say you already have a Scott Spark? If you still have it, why not do some upgrades on it? It is still a great bike

Thanks.

Sorry. Not a spark but a scale. Hardtail. ☺️

My bike is 7 years old and about time for something newer. Looking at that age range. 

For the money in your budget I've seen brand new Stumpjumpers on the floor at West Coast Specialized.

I ride a 2017 Camber and it's a 120mm beast. It rocks all the trails I throw at it which are up there with Jonkers Armageddon (from the very top), Red Phoenix, Plaisir de Merle flow line with all the big jumps and everything in between those two extremes. I am yet to feel under gunned on a trail. Perhaps Status Quo and Plumber but that's more due to me being a papbroek than the bike being incapable.

The Camber I have shares the front triangle with the Stumpy of the time and they're both solid bikes.

My 2 cents, for what it's worth.

1 hour ago, jacquesdiener said:

Thanks.

Sorry. Not a spark but a scale. Hardtail. ☺️

My bike is 7 years old and about time for something newer. Looking at that age range. 

Ah ok got you. If your focus is more multi-day events and less trails look for a Epic or Epic Evo from 2018-2020. My wife's got the alu one and it's never held her back. 

I've never tried a Camber but I believe it should fit the needs just fine and their prices seem like good value these days. Try and get a carbon one if you can. 

Nothing wrong with a stumpy, but I don't think it's best suited for stage races, IMO of course. 

Don't discount a Scott Spark for what you want to do. Trek Top Fuel could also work. Cannondale scalpel as well, I just can't get past the looks of the lefty, but the guys that have them, swear by them!

One technicality you may want to consider is that the Camber frames to my knowledge do not have boost spacing.

I would imagine for most of us this doesnt really mean much to ride experience (and there is a lot more to the way a bike rides than just boost spacing) but it does future proof your bike for upgrades you may want to make later on , specifically for wheelsets and groupsets..... 

23 minutes ago, YaseenEnos said:

One technicality you may want to consider is that the Camber frames to my knowledge do not have boost spacing.

I would imagine for most of us this doesnt really mean much to ride experience (and there is a lot more to the way a bike rides than just boost spacing) but it does future proof your bike for upgrades you may want to make later on , specifically for wheelsets and groupsets..... 

solid point!

i see the OP has his ad up now - this is a good spec to hunt for! https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/547571/wanted-specialized-epic-evo-comp-2021-l