Gravel bike tyres

christovdw

Any takes on the gravel bike tyres (locally available) with the best sidewall protection?

I’m running maxxis rambler 700x38c and while they are pretty good, every issue seems to be sidewall related. Obviously tyre pressure, terrain, etc makes a difference. I ride on harsh gravel/shale 98% of the time. May just bad luck… or technique…!

Amy thoughts?

I’m running Specialized pathfinder pro 42c for more then a year now no issues, currently no stock available for 42c but tailwind klerksdorp has 38c. What tyre pressures do you run

13 hours ago, christovdw said:

Any takes on the gravel bike tyres (locally available) with the best sidewall protection?

I’m running maxxis rambler 700x38c and while they are pretty good, every issue seems to be sidewall related. Obviously tyre pressure, terrain, etc makes a difference. I ride on harsh gravel/shale 98% of the time. May just bad luck… or technique…!

Amy thoughts?

not sure if i can totally blame this Rambler 700x40cc for this, but this was maiden voyage for these tyres, ~300km bikepacking and we had a sidewall issue.

b u t    context

went through a farm patch that had been ploughed. came out the other side with 50+ duwweltjies in tyre. burnt through all the sealant over the next 20kms, arm is still tyred from all the pumping.

tyre was a little bit low and hit a bump in a river crossing.

dinged the rim and got a sidewall cut.

this was too close to the rim to be plugged, so some q-bond superglue and this section of rim strip got me home (another ~120km).

nYkixTt87FJPhhRnKIL5vbcKK8RcBdzMrGeNRa6ySkmhzYUC0vMnU68LciYm29fqI5FqMDLmPqx_vkhmM4Rxg9cmOgP8aczIzuk6VxBU1cpNzVcfVuZoGDW5Gnvls59qd4TSC94IYGAZbyynsuBOgvmxNpQ197RAA-nzJwYVlveayvhS-slOmOJYdVOVd9wexRdthBgGA2LDm3U6c1q47dhxW9zfy87Xf6mxf_iRg6Sc1eKwPlw_FxsgbQyyumbib_Jcvu4gYNv5ry9-8O5dmPASeq0_neHL0ni8QtPvE4GH7w0uCaO9KGBhZdEbyQLSkgFI1_yXuuoGvy7Jmp078yELNZZ0OF6MCDzj6ci-AdYoImwtrk6uCDi_fBd47OLiYppMz4eavTviZWJ5ao9VrCJKqXmKmnI4tI6JW9WA4T14sk-JPV0Qaj14Xas6_6KG3hdOx5GlA4e8NYRCMZx0CE0jq2g2995FaqZ1K7MycCg0QAo9gH_yK8BF7P7qJZNHZXU5iQGA03Xf7R8jZVjKNlz33EHHlY_jIrQxnT6XMEG5uTpSpM4JWYaJ5kCTZDaBCzwf-mKapKE3CUXzTwDifj-BKOF-C6IPKIaN3zwOhXDd_6v5ozZr6kMIQOEPpXoK19AljWRUkoZ4BxrJ1UbZwGdg6Tv-27sbwhMwNaTQvPT5c08oQd_5tjhIlVICVy5zgRo3T4FWNFu-7psuh0GPcx3kJ2YTqpmOGdOCDnRn3ceYjNuto0DD12YFkF2D=w469-h625-no?authuser=0

have now put a boot on the inside, will let you know if they survive eroica

Edited by Shebeen

Pirelli Cinturato 45-622 Gravel Mixed Tyre

Had no issue including a miss adventure at the wrong side of Vangaalen wth all those dewil thorns.

Perhaps a pressure issue as i tend to be a bit on the hard side but have never had issue either GB or MTB

FYI check take-a-lot see they have stock

Edited by Spy007

• 7 months later...

I've never gotten on with the Ramblers - they don't feel durable at all. Both of the Specialized gravel tyres (Pathfinder Pro / Rhombus Pro) feel way more durable, and I've put a lot of miles on both of them without a single issue. 

A lot of issues with gravel tyres are related to pressure. Searching for grip and comfort means minimizing pressures in most instances. 

I've had some good success with GravelKing SK's (the normal version, not the Plus version), but after the Munga Grit the sidewalls were toast and weeping sealant. I was obviously running pressures pretty low that caused it, but the actual tread section took minimal wear and didn't have any punctures. I think the Plus version should be pretty bomb proof.

I've run the Sawtooth and Ramblers for just a few weeks no and they've seem pretty robust so far.

I've also run the Vittoria Terreno Dry tyres. They were really well damped and comfy, but were pretty susceptible to punctures from thorns.

Been riding Panaracer Gravelkings. The semi-slick ones in 43 mm. 3000 km of gravel. No complaints thus far. Ride is a bit harder than previous set of Maxxis (4000 km, dead) , therefore running pressures half a bar lower. This probably ties into previous comments of ramblers not "feeling durable". Compound on sidewalls seem softer than Panaracers. 

Will probably try some Pirelli's next time out of curiosity