MTB SHOES

David Moloko

My intention is to just ride and unfortunately I did not know that I need new pedals and cleats to continue with my ride, but then thank you all for your inputs I will see what best works for me. Much appreciated

6 minutes ago, David Moloko said:

My intention is to just ride and unfortunately I did not know that I need new pedals and cleats to continue with my ride, but then thank you all for your inputs I will see what best works for me. Much appreciated

Now that you got clipless shoes, you might as well give it a try and see if you prefer it or not.  If you don't like it you can always revert back to flats, your choice ...

Edited by TheoG

Yes 😄 I didn't even know that these shoes are clipless. Thought It depends with type of cleats you get. But I'm paying school fees thank you

13 minutes ago, David Moloko said:

Yes 😄 I didn't even know that these shoes are clipless. Thought It depends with type of cleats you get. But I'm paying school fees thank you

Hi David, maybe I'm wrong but I get the impression you still don't clearly know what the difference is.  If that's the case, have a look at this:

Learn to ride on flat pedals, learn proper technique to keep your feet on the pedals, and then decide if you want to go clipless pedals or not. Its's much easier to put your foot down when you get into trouble than with clipless pedals. Most new bikes come with flat pedals anyway. I swap between the two of them, depending on what i'm riding, but flat pedals are just so much more fun

Wow thank you now I have idea of clipless pedals and flat. Thank you TheoG. I will try those clipless pedals hopefully I won't lose my teeth

1 minute ago, StevieG said:

Learn to ride on flat pedals, learn proper technique to keep your feet on the pedals, and then decide if you want to go clipless pedals or not. Its's much easier to put your foot down when you get into trouble than with clipless pedals. Most new bikes come with flat pedals anyway. I swap between the two of them, depending on what i'm riding, but flat pedals are just so much more fun

Thank you StevieG, I will try them both any way my bike came with flat and I'm confident with them. However if it wasn't the shoe case I wouldn't have know or want to try the clipless. Having said that I will give them a try. Thank you for your contribution

If you are starting out I would suggest that you go with flat pedals it's just good for confidence.

48 minutes ago, porqui said:

If you are starting out I would suggest that you go with flat pedals it's just good for confidence.

I used to ride BMX while I was still young so I'm familiar with riding not mountains though. But then atleast now I can ride 35km. So problem it started with lack of knowledge with cycling shoes I just thought you wear n ride only to find out that they are slippery have to change pedals. I will try them and have a feel. Thank you for advice 

I started riding flats last year August. Sure, I got the scars to prove my insanity, and learning all over again to ride my bike on anything other than tar.

But once I got the hang of riding and starting to get familiar with the flats, I am back to sending drops, gaps, tables, rock gardens etc. Since starting the transition to flats to finding my happy place where I was before going flat took about 6 weeks.

My skills have drastically improved by letting go of the cleats and I am a much better rider for it. I will never go back to riding clipped in again.

I even had a off descending Contermanskloof Black Rhino 1 after my front wheel got hung up on a rock, and as I was starting to go over the bars I simply hit the eject button and separated from the bike, making what would have ended up being a nasty crash nothing more than needing assistance in getting extracted from a shrub a landed on. Had I been clipped in, I would have landed on the rocks below me with who knows what all broken. 

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I started riding flats last year August. Sure, I got the scars to prove my insanity, and learning all over again to ride my bike on anything other than tar.

But once I got the hang of riding and starting to get familiar with the flats, I am back to sending drops, gaps, tables, rock gardens etc. Since starting the transition to flats to finding my happy place where I was before going flat took about 6 weeks.

My skills have drastically improved by letting go of the cleats and I am a much better rider for it. I will never go back to riding clipped in again.

I even had a off descending Contermanskloof Black Rhino 1 after my front wheel got hung up on a rock, and as I was starting to go over the bars I simply hit the eject button and separated from the bike, making what would have ended up being a nasty crash nothing more than needing assistance in getting extracted from a shrub a landed on. Had I been clipped in, I would have landed on the rocks below me with who knows what all broken. 

Hi Robbie thank you for sharing you had one of an experience there sorry about it. I take your advice. I have been using my running shoes and felt that I need cycling shoes as I would be entering some race but will start with 15km though I can do 35km. So the problem started where I did not know that I will need pedals and cleats, I feel cycle lab should have adviced or suggested but again can't blame anyone it's two ways. For me it will be lesson learned though at a cost.