Clamping on dropper post

Quagga

What are your feelings on clamping a bike on the dropper post stanchion?

From what I have read, it is a NO NO!

I recently had an experience where the shop mech wanted to clamp my bike on the dropper stantion. I told nim "no way"

In my view it does not matter how soft the bike stand clamps are, it could damage the stantion.

It gets better or(  worse), my bike is a 27KG Ebike, so all that force is now concentrated on the stanchion/ dropper interface. Surely it is / was going to bend something and cause it to wear out over time?

What do you think?

What do you guys think?

Edited by Quagga

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have done it a few times, with no issues, but I do have a cloth wrapped around the clamp.
When I can I try to either clamp the collar or the bottom part of the dropper. 

1 minute ago, AkwA said:

I have done it a few times, with no issues, but I do have a cloth wrapped around the clamp.
When I can I try to either clamp the collar or the bottom part of the dropper. 

Ahh ok

This was without a cloth.

But would you do it with 20kg of battery pulling the front of the bike down?

I have seen it be done and done it for a while. No scratches or damage to any of the droppers. Ever. I guess to each their own but droppers are more likely to get scratched from dirt ingress while riding than being clamped in a clean rubber stand, I guess wrap the dropper in a cloth if you want, but I don't think it is needed. 

3 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

I have seen it be done and done it for a while. No scratches or damage to any of the droppers. Ever. I guess to each their own but droppers are more likely to get scratched from dirt ingress while riding than being clamped in a clean rubber stand, I guess wrap the dropper in a cloth if you want, but I don't think it is needed. 

ok thanks

But a 27kg Ebike hanging on that little stantion

1 minute ago, Quagga said:

ok thanks

But a 27kg Ebike hanging on that little stantion

Don't stress bru, I mean if you have a really skinny dropper than maybe; but I have clamped HEAVY (32 kilo) E bikes by their dropper and all has been good. 

Also make sure your clamp is positioned in a way so that your bike is balanced, I have seen too many bikes fall over when the clamp is at an angle haha

To be fair, a person also hangs on the stanchion and does weigh a bit more than that.
Really think it will be fine, until there is something in the clamp, but personally wouldnt risk it, they are pricy.

Never used a cloth unless it was a reverb or fox transfer. The rest have gas cartridges that push the stanchion up through a wiper seal. Never scratched one either. 

the stanchion supports the weight of some fairly….. well rounded individuals so the bikes weight is FA.

but I’m sure the Bikehub theologians will preach damnation 

Just now, AkwA said:

To be fair, a person also hangs on the stanchion and does weigh a bit more than that.
Really think it will be fine, until there is something in the clamp, but personally wouldnt risk it, they are pricy.

To each their own. I know my dropper will get more damaged by grit when riding, so I do not put a cloth in the clamp. Also a cloth sometimes limits available friction, so the bike will move around in the clamp, which is irritating to work on.

I thinking if someone is sitting on the it the force is down not at about 90 deg to dropper

If clamp is on the stanchion like in this pic

Does the heavy front not pull down and thus could bend it ?

a.png

3 minutes ago, Quagga said:

I thinking if someone is sitting on the it the force is down not at about 90 deg to dropper

Yeah but it also applies fore/aft leverage...

Just now, Quagga said:

If clamp is on the stanchion like in this pic

Does the heavy front not pull down and thus could bend it ?

a.png

No, because you make sure the clamp is vertical. May be hard to grasp when I try to explain haha

Just now, MTBRIDER1234 said:

No, because you make sure the clamp is vertical. May be hard to grasp when I try to explain haha

I get what you are saying

So the bike is front wheel low. But setpost is not in the center of gravity of teh bike so there will still be a bit of force?