1x - optimal chainring & cassette mix

RossTopher

Just now, RossTopher said:

thanks @Sid the Sloth. i am keeping a close eye on this. Sure its pricey, but compared to other stores or bringing one in, it looks a relative bargain:
https://getstokedonline.co.za/product/e13-xcx-plus-11-spd-cassette-9-39t/

that should mean no chainring change, and i really just need a rear wheel for now. i can get a matching front wheel when the funds become available

You could also buy a pair of those DT Swiss alloy gravel wheels everyone is flogging when they upgrade to carbon... I have seen some proper bargains. Maybe @Sidekick Raceror @Spookie can help you out

I'll likely go new, most probably Lyne or Rapide. Actually ended up with an incredible set of Roval rim brake wheels recently on clearance, so will keep my eyes peeled.

burned myself with 2nd hand wheels before so i am very wary.  hard to tell on inspection, but finding out at a service how badly damaged the internals were, or ending up roadside with multiple spokes snapping (32 spoke wheels) etc. It's in no way the sellers fault, but wheels likely won't behave the same when you're over 100kg, buying from someone nearly half that.

32 minutes ago, RossTopher said:

I'll likely go new, most probably Lyne or Rapide. Actually ended up with an incredible set of Roval rim brake wheels recently on clearance, so will keep my eyes peeled.

burned myself with 2nd hand wheels before so i am very wary.  hard to tell on inspection, but finding out at a service how badly damaged the internals were, or ending up roadside with multiple spokes snapping (32 spoke wheels) etc. It's in no way the sellers fault, but wheels likely won't behave the same when you're over 100kg, buying from someone nearly half that.

fair, I fall close to the nearly half that side lol

22 hours ago, RossTopher said:

@Wayne pudding Mol and @ACE Cycles . thanks, it does seem like the ideal "money no object" solution. I have looked at garbaruk and e13 and while the prices are high, my reading says they'll run forever, and a lot more resilient than the sram 10t cassettes.

my bike has 105 hubs though, so i dont think i can just replace the freebody with an XD, so it will be new wheels + the 3-4k cassette... which is a bit dear

garbaruk have shimano cassette options - I don't know anything about shimano but I ordered one for a friend who says he's done around 5000km hassle free (mtb)

Expensive outlay but cost per km makes their products value by bike industry standards anyway

thanks @Wayne pudding Mol. heard nothing but postives re garbaruk, but 11-46 is a bit too wide for my needs, and it just doesnt meet the need unless i'm going the XD route.

Seems the ethirteen 9-39 is probably the ideal solve.

Edited by RossTopher

23 hours ago, RossTopher said:

yip, i am looking for the most cost effective option, so no changing of shifters etc. its an 11 speed Apex1 hydro groupset, with Rival1 RD which i believe you can push to 46, but thats overkill for me.

sounds like 42t in the front is the way to go. bigger chainring is more efficient.

Hope this info helps.

So you have a good base with the current groupset you have and its pretty simple. Speak to Alex at Csixx, they make up to 54T 1 x Chainring (Direct mount) 8 bolt or 6 bolt and i know they just got into 104BCD as well, 44T and 48T seems to be the most popular amongst gravel riders.

I would suggest you look into replacing your freebody to XDR for 2 reasons.

1, if you stay with 11 speed go 10/42, that tooth just gives you that extra speed you looking for and the 42 with allow a bigger chainring (The 9/39 mentioned earlier is a good option as well but the 10/42 give you more range or have a look at a 9/44)

2, a company called Ratio technology sells a 12 speed setup for the groupset you currently have, its a gear that swops out from 11 to 12 speed and they have a cage setup up so you keep your rear derailleur and allowing for a 12 speed cassette and a much bigger range.   

excellent, thanks @Naidy, it sounds like going the sram route actually opens up a lot of options.

12 speed always seemed like a world away for me, but i will look at the kit, and not make any rushed decisions on the cassette. Seems like the best option is to go rear wheel shopping, and that at least gives me a good foundation for the 11vs12 speed and cassette range considerations. then i dont need to mess with the chainring for now. it least they're easy to change, so i can swap out the 40 and maybe a 44 as needed.

I’m running a 1X setup on my road bike as well. I’m using a 48T garbaruk chaingring with 11-42 Sram cassette and it’s been pretty flawless for me.

Wrt Garbaruk, the machine work on the chainrings are high quality but they aren’t cheap. The teeth are quite long though, so its definitely not the quietest of drivetrains especially on the extremes.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, does anyone know off hand which make and model of dual suspension mtb can take 40t or 42t chainring?

Info on bikes websites not always very helpful.

I know Spec Epic and new Trek SK can take 38t though.