Wahoo Kickr Core - No speed or power pickup

slickjay007

So a quick update....Wahoo USA say that the units are not field serviceable (which is understandable regarding QC) and that I need to make use of iKhambi which in turn don't repair this fault. Hhmmm catch 22 situation.

Bottom line is zero after sales service on repairs if your unit is out of warranty. This includes the UAS and SA.

I'm not amused but will move on.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, slickjay007 said:

So a quick update....Wahoo USA say that the units are not field serviceable (which is understandable regarding QC) and that I need to make use of iKhambi which in turn don't repair this fault. Hhmmm catch 22 situation.

Bottom line is zero after sales service on repairs if your unit is out of warranty. This includes the UAS and SA.

I'm not amused but will move on.

Wow on a unit at that price...

48 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

That sucks ...

Saw some IDT's on special at SportsmansWharehouse over the weekend.  CWC also had a LOT of IDT's a few weeks back.

Yip also saw that. Will most likely use my Vitality device booster for my next IDT

On 8/22/2022 at 2:51 PM, cadenceblur said:

I've heard that these units are bomb proof, barring the issues that were had with the infamous batches that. That being said, the general consensus is that their after sales service is also great?

Hopefully you come right and quickly as well.

I bought a 2nd hand 1st gen kickr in 2017, the mrs and I have easy done 4000km a year on it combined since then. It is still on OEM belt, I have changed the idler bearings because the one was slightly rough and I am pedantic about bearings. That was just an SKF bearing from a local supplier for under R100 for 2. So the early ones are really bomb proof from MY experience. The core's obviously had their issues but the kickr themselves seem to have less issues. 

My wahoo does complain every now and then when I have a phone and watch trying to read from it, but usually that is sorted by unplugging it and plugging it back in...

On 8/22/2022 at 4:19 PM, jacquesjvr said:

@slickjay007Jacques here from Ikhambi South Africa Please give me your ticket number and I can help you ASAP.

Hey Jacques - Maybe and idea to explain & help us Hubbers understand what the Wahoo exchange or trade in policy is on out of warranty units that have failed - I have a hard time understanding that a Electro/mechanical piece of equipment of this value cannot be repaired under a service exchange program, or why there is no parts that i can buy to try fix a unit.

I mean what happens to the failed units you trade in - Are they repaired and sold back into the market as used ? Or are they simply scrapped ?

I get that Ikhambi is an importer / distributor business which is very different from being a LBS / repair workshop - But - If this be the case. surely there is a business opportunity, for authorized service ctrs on Wahoo. 

I'm not knocking Ikhambi - Your service is on point and cannot be faulted - I'm just trying to understand the mythology behind the after sales service.

49 minutes ago, madmarc said:

Hey Jacques - Maybe and idea to explain & help us Hubbers understand what the Wahoo exchange or trade in policy is on out of warranty units that have failed - I have a hard time understanding that a Electro/mechanical piece of equipment of this value cannot be repaired under a service exchange program, or why there is no parts that i can buy to try fix a unit.

I mean what happens to the failed units you trade in - Are they repaired and sold back into the market as used ? Or are they simply scrapped ?

I get that Ikhambi is an importer / distributor business which is very different from being a LBS / repair workshop - But - If this be the case. surely there is a business opportunity, for authorized service ctrs on Wahoo. 

I'm not knocking Ikhambi - Your service is on point and cannot be faulted - I'm just trying to understand the mythology behind the after sales service.

I completely agree!

I'm in the support and servie industry in the mining sector and if i tell my clients that they have to constantly purchase new equipment because i cannot have it fixed out of warranty, our company will go out of business. I understand that Ikhambi operate under a different business model but the client service principle still stays the same.

I think customers should be notified beforehand that out of warranty units are not being fixed in SA

Surely, someone is brave enough to dive into fixing one of these core units. I mean if you have to fork out for another unit anyway there is nothing to lose. It is in theory a case of buying a new power supply and then somehow replacing the ESD chip? Or am I over simplifying it?

There are some good treadmill mechanics around. It is expensive to fix a treadmill but it can be done. I am sure the skills are transferrable?

3 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Surely, someone is brave enough to dive into fixing one of these core units. I mean if you have to fork out for another unit anyway there is nothing to lose. It is in theory a case of buying a new power supply and then somehow replacing the ESD chip? Or am I over simplifying it?

There are some good treadmill mechanics around. It is expensive to fix a treadmill but it can be done. I am sure the skills are transferrable?

This is my point - I can fix them - In fact i was thinking of making a small business out of it - servicing & repairing all brands of IDT's - the problem is you need to get the OEM spares especially the electronic components, which clearly you cant unless there are aftermarket parts from China - which is not the ideal route to go

58 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

So, for my understanding - internationally ( or in the US ), these units can be repaired but not in SA?

I have read a forum where a PCB kit with a new power supply was sent to an owner who then installed everything himself.

This is why i also contacted the USA support line to see if i could purchase a new PCB and have our local guys install and setup for me

Edited by slickjay007

5 hours ago, slickjay007 said:

Yip also saw that. Will most likely use my Vitality device booster for my next IDT

Device Booster is no more.

Vitality Gear replaced it, and you only get 25% of the first R2000 off. It’s not on the list of devices on Vitality Gear.

Question to those that have had problems, vs those without problems.

Do you switch your trainer off when not in use?
Are you using the 2-pin plug that comes with the unit?

I switch mine off, and I am using a 3-pin plug. I’m also running the house off an inverter, so I don’t get surges in electricity like before the inverter.