Gravel Bike Dilema

CraigCCW

Need to decide between the Silverback Siablo CF Apex, or a Giant Revolt Advance 3.

Main differences are Silverback is SRAM Apex 1x11, Giant is Shimano GRX 400 2x10, the Giant is R2k more.

Any advice, or current experience info with either of these bikes would be appreciated.

Side question: where are you seeing the siablo available? I've been casually looking for a while and haven't seen it anywhere.

3 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

Side question: where are you seeing the siablo available? I've been casually looking for a while and haven't seen it anywhere.

Seen a large at Cycle Lab in Lynwood

8 minutes ago, CraigCCW said:

Need to decide between the Silverback Siablo CF Apex, or a Giant Revolt Advance 3.

Main differences are Silverback is SRAM Apex 1x11, Giant is Shimano GRX 400 2x10, the Giant is R2k more.

Any advice, or current experience info with either of these bikes would be appreciated.

The Giant seems to have issues with cracking near the seatpost clamp (see reviews here: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/revolt-advanced-3), but there aren't a lot of reviews of the Silverback floating around.

If you're in JHB, you will probably want to 2x gearing on the Giant. I think the Giant may be able to take larger tyres.

I am in JHB, and true the 2x gearing is better, but I'm not a fan of the 10 speed, but I'm sure I could get used to it

The Siablo can only fit 42c tyres - that would be a deal breaker for me but roads in WC are rougher than in Gauteng I believe. I run 45c and my friend on his Revolt runs 47c tyres for extra volume and comfort. 

I'd go Giant.

4 minutes ago, Tomik said:

The Siablo can only fit 42c tyres - that would be a deal breaker for me but roads in WC are rougher than in Gauteng I believe. I run 45c and my friend on his Revolt runs 47c tyres for extra volume and comfort. 

I'd go Giant.

That's a really good point to consider, thanks.

For gravel in SA I think you'll appreciate 45mm tyres (for our gravel) and 2x gearing (for finding good rhythm gears on long dirt roads)

However, when you opt for wider tyres you also limit your front chainring options. So 45mm tyres usually mean no more than a 46t or 48t front ring. 

Not to throw a spanner in the works, but at that price range I would also look at lightly used gravel bikes like this one https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/gravel-and-cyclocross-bikes/590489/trek-checkpoint-sl6

Not sure your size but you'll get a better groupset and usually a lighter bike overall with better wheels for your R44k.

I would also look at the Trek Checkpoint. It's a superbly versatile bike. I have the SL7 and have been bike-packing and it did road duty for 6 weeks when my BMC broke.

I had the 2x10 GRX groupset and loved it. One thing it has over the 2x11 option is a better climbing gear. If I remember correctly the 10spd derailleur will take a 36 tooth cassette while 11spd will only take 34. Those are the official numbers from shimano and I know people have stretched those limits, but the point is the 10spd derailleur is more accommodating of larger cassettes.

5 minutes ago, Tomik said:

Not to throw a spanner in the works, but at that price range I would also look at lightly used gravel bikes like this one https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/gravel-and-cyclocross-bikes/590489/trek-checkpoint-sl6

Not sure your size but you'll get a better groupset and usually a lighter bike overall with better wheels for your R44k.

I would also look at the Trek Checkpoint. It's a superbly versatile bike. I have the SL7 and have been bike-packing and it did road duty for 6 weeks when my BMC broke.

I saw that bike, unfortunately I'm a large

41 minutes ago, Tomik said:

Or a heavily used cannondale superx and upgrade the drivetrain and wheels 😂